A notion at risk : preserving public education as an engine for social mobility
- Richard D. Kahlenberg, editor.
- New York : Century Foundation Press, 2000.
- Physical description
- vii, 356 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Making K-12 public education an engine for social mobility / Richard D. Kahlenberg
- Summer learning and home environment / Doris Entwisle, Karl Alexander, and Linda Olson
- Equalizing education resources on behalf of disadvantaged children / Richard Rothstein
- High standards : a strategy for equalizing opportunities to learn? / Adam Gamoran
- Inequality in teaching and schooling : supporting high-quality teaching and leadership in low income schools / Linda Darling-Hammond and Laura Post
- Charter schools and racial and social class segregation : yet another sorting machine? / Amy Stuart Wells ... [et al.]
- Student discipline and academic achievement / Paul Barton
- Critical support : the public view of public education / Ruy Teixeira.
These essays identify the leading sources of inequality in public education - both in the home and in school - and propose concrete public-policy remedies. The authors examine such topics as: the strengths and weaknesses of summer schooling; teacher enhancement; and zero-tolerance policies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Preserving public education as an engine for social mobility
- 0870784552 (alk. paper)
- 9780870784552 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: