The nurse apprentice, 1860-1977
- Ann Bradshaw.
- Aldershot ; Burlington USA : Ashgate, c2001.
- Physical description
- ix, 267 p. ; 24 cm.
- History of medicine in context.
- Bradshaw, Ann.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The principles and practices of nursing in historical context - the Nightingale tradition of nursing-- Voices from the Nightingale nursing tradition - views of nurse leaders 1874-1982-- Standardizing virtue? Parliamentary arguments 1890-1925-- After registration - the syllabus of training and the age of reports 1923-1948-- British nursing tradition and the American influence 1948-1960-- The cusp of change, 1960-1972-- Battle for the soul of nursing - conflicting values, 1960-1978-- The end of the nurse apprentice 1970-1979-- Lessons from history - the significance of the nurse apprentice.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780754601722 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- This study surveys, examines, and analyzes the British apprenticeship model of nurse training from 1860 at St Thomas's Hospital, until the publication of the last national syllabus from the General Nursing Council in England and Wales in 1977. The study uses primary data and evidence of the British model of nurse training that was unquestioned for over a century, drawing upon material that has not previously been examined. It interprets the attitudes and values underpinning the apprenticeship system, including the place of vocation, and explains the reason for the ending of this system. The book is intended to fill a major gap in the history of nurse training of what was, until recently, the only model of training in the United Kingdom. It presents an overview of the nursing apprenticeship, a key aspect of nursing history, and is particularly relevant to modern readers because of the recent moves of nursing education into higher education, and the surrounding intense policy debates about nursing education and practice. It should also be of interest internationally because of the widespread and continuing influence of British nursing world-wide.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780754601722 20160527
- History of Nursing > Great Britain.
- History of Nursing > United States.
- Education, Nursing > history > Great Britain.
- Education, Nursing > history > United States.
- Nursing students > Great Britain > History > 19th century.
- Nursing students > Great Britain > History > 20th century.
- Nurses > Training of > Great Britain > History > 19th century.
- Nurses > Training of > Great Britain > History > 20th century.
- Publication date
- The history of medicine in context
- 0754601722 (HB : alk. paper)
- 9780754601722 (HB : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: