English words : history and structure
- Robert Stockwell and Donka Minkova.
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- Physical description
- xi, 208 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- An introduction to the textbook-- 1. Word origins-- 2. The background of English-- 3. Composition of the early modern and modern English vocabulary-- 4. Smaller than words: morphemes and types of morphemes-- 5. Allomorphy, phonetics, and affixation-- 6. Replacement rules-- 7. Deletion rules and other kinds of allomorphy-- 8. Fossilized allomorphy: false cognates, and other etymological pitfalls-- 9. Semantic change and semantic guesswork-- 10. The pronunciation of classical words in English-- Appendix I. An introduction to dictionaries-- Appendix II. Master root list.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521793629 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- English Words: History and Structure is concerned primarily with the learned vocabulary of English, the words borrowed from the classical languages. It surveys the historical events that define the layers of vocabulary in English, introduces some of the basic principles of linguistic analysis, and is a helpful manual for vocabulary discernment and enrichment. Exercises accompanying each chapter and further readings on recent loans and the legal and medical vocabulary of English will be available online in the near future. * Introduces students to some basic linguistic terms needed for the discussion of phonological and morphological changes accompanying word formation * Designed to lead students to a finer appreciation of their language and greater ability to recognize relationships between words and discriminate between meanings * An informative appendix discusses the history and usefulness of the best known British and American dictionaries * Online readings and exercises to deepen and strengthen knowledge acquired in the classroom.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521793629 20160528
- Publication date
- 0521793629 (pbk.)
- 9780521793629 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: