Handbook of urban studies
- edited by Ronan Paddison.
- London ; Thousand Oaks, Calif. : SAGE, 2001.
- Physical description
- xvii, 494 p. : ill., maps ; 26 cm.
- Paddison, Ronan.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Studying Cities - Ronan Paddison PART ONE: IDENTIFYING THE CITY Defining the City - William H Frey and Zachary Zimmer Urban Ecology - Peter Saunders Impartial Maps - Hana Wirth-Nesher Reading and Writing Cities PART TWO: THE CITY AS ENVIRONMENT The Physical Form of Cities - J W R Whitehand A Historico-Geographical Approach Housing in the Twentieth Century - Ray Forrest and Peter Williams Transport and the City - Tom Hart Managing Sustainable Urban Environments - Robert Camagni, Roberta Capello and Peter Nijkamp PART THREE: THE CITY AS PEOPLE Urbanization, Suburbanization, Counterurbanization and Reurbanization - Tony Champion Social Segregation and Social Polarization - Chris Hamnett Race Relations in the City - Joe T Darden Communities in the City - Ronan Paddison Women, Men, Cities - Linda M McDowell Urban Crime in the USA and Western Europe - Paula D McClain A Comparison PART FOUR: THE CITY AS ECONOMY Urban Scale Economies - J Vernon Henderson Cities in the Global Economy - Saskia Sassen The Post-Fordist City - W F Lever The Post-Industrial City - Doug V Shaw The New Urban Economies - Donald McNeill and Aidan While The Growth of Urban Informal Economies - Colin C Williams and Jan Windebank PART FIVE: THE CITY AS ORGANIZED POLITY Urban Governance - Michael Goldsmith Cities and Services - Stephen J Bailey A Post-Welfarist Analysis Social Policy and the City - Susanne MacGregor PART SIX: POWER AND POLICY DISCOURSES IN POSTMODERN CITIES Communicative Planning, Emancipatory Politics and Postmodernism - Louis Albrechts and William Denayer Planning, Power and Conflict - James Simmie Power, Discourse and City Trajectories - Mark Boyle and Robert J Rogerson PART SEVEN: CITIES IN TRANSITION Cities in Pacific Asia - David W Smith Post-Socialist Cities in Flux - Grigoriy Kostinskiy The Cities of Sub-Saharan Africa - Richard Stren and Mohamed Halfani From Dependency to Marginality.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780803976955 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The Handbook of Urban Studies provides the first comprehensive, up-to-date account of the urban condition, relevant to a wide readership from academics to researchers and policymakers. It provides a theoretically and empirically informed account embracing all the different disciplines contributing to urban studies. Leading authors identify key issues and questions and future trends for further research and present their findings so that, where appropriate, they are relevant to the needs of policymakers. Using the city as a unifying structure, the Handbook provides an holistic appreciation of urban structure and change, and of the theories by which we understand the structure, development and changing character of cities.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780803976955 20160528
- Supplemental links
- Table of Contents
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Urban studies
Browse related items
Start at call number: