Encyclopedia of life writing : autobiographical and biographical forms
- Margaretta Jolly, editor.
- London : Fitzroy Dearborn, 2001.
- Physical description
- 2 v. (xlvii, 1090 p.) ; 28 cm.
- Jolly, Margaretta.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Entries include: Abelard, Peter and Heloise-- Adolescence and Life Writing-- Autobiography and Poetry-- The Bible-- Britain: Renaissance Life Writing-- Byron, George, Lord-- Celebrity and Popular Biography-- Censorship and Life Writing-- Criminal Autobiography-- Dante Alighieri-- Dictionary of American Biography-- Diderot, Denis-- Exploration Writings-- Film-- Frank, Anne-- Genealogy-- Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von-- Hispanic American Life Writing-- Hughes, Langston-- Insanity and Life Writing-- Interviews-- Journalism and Magazines-- Jung, C.G.-- Kafka, Franz-- Love, Sexuality, and Life Writing-- Memoirs-- Nabokov, Vladimir-- Personal Narrative-- Petrarch-- Photography-- Religious Autobiography-- Sartre, Jean-Paul-- Slave Narratives-- Thoreau, Henry David-- Voltaire-- Whitman, Walt-- Women's Autobiographies-- Working-Class Writings-- and many more.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781579582326 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- The Encyclopedia of Life Writing is the first substantial reference work in English to study the various auto/biographical forms that constitute "life writing." As this interdisciplinary and broadly inclusive term suggests, the Encyclopedia explores not only autobiography and biography proper, but also letters, diaries, memoirs, family histories, case histories, and other ways in which individual lives have been recorded and structured. It includes entries on genres and sub-genres, national and regional traditions from around the world, and important autobiographical writers, as well as articles on related areas such as oral history, anthropology, testimonies, and the representation of life stories in non-verbal art forms. The Encyclopedia of Life Writing provides a practical and comprehensive survey of this rapidly expanding field of interest. Winner "Outstanding Reference Source" award - American Library Association.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781579582326 20160527
- Publication date
Browse related items
Start at call number: