The history of the English language : a source book
- David Burnley.
- 2nd ed.
- Harlow, England ; New York : Longman, 2000.
- Physical description
- xxii, 418 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Burnley, J. D.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -414) and index.
- Old English (700-1100)-- early middle English (1100-1300)-- later middle English (1300-1500)-- early modern English (1500-1800)-- modern English (1800-1920).
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780582312630 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- A new edition of this comprehensive guide to the history of the English language. The book contains carefully chosen extracts to illustrate the development of English, looking particularly at the stylistic and dialectical variety of English. For the new edition Professor Burnley has expanded the introductory sections, added new selections and increased the number of illustrations. He has also included a newsection covering newspaper advertisements from the 18th Century to the present. A popular guide which explores the development of English from Aelfric to Darwin.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780582312630 20160528
- Publication date
Browse related items
Start at call number: