Worshiping the ancestors : Chinese commemorative portraits
- Jan Stuart, Evelyn S. Rawski.
- Washington, D.C. : Freer Gallery of Art : Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Institution ; Stanford, CA : Stanford University Press, c2001.
- Physical description
- 216 p. : col. ill. ; 32 cm.
Art & Architecture Library (Bowes)
|ND1326 .S78 2001 F||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 205-209) and index.
- Foreword Milo Cleveland Beach-- Acknowledgments-- Introduction Jan Stuart-- 1. Portraiture and ancestor rituals-- 2. Visual conventions-- 3. Realism and the Iconic pose-- 4. Nomenclature, production, and documentary value-- 5. Portrait at the Quing Court-- 6. The identity of the sitters-- 7. Innovation within tradition-- Notes-- Appendices-- Bibliography-- Glossary-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780804742634 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- Despite their compelling presence and often exquisite quality, Chinese ancestor portraits have never been studied as a genre. This richly illustrated book (85 portraits in full color, 81 in black and white) is the first to explore in depth the artistic, historical, and religious significance of these remarkable paintings and to place them in context with other types of commemorative portraiture. Since the sixteenth century, portraits were commissioned in China in great number and variety. Depictions of individual men and women range from formal, iconic poses to the very casual, offer fascinating glimpses of Chinese life and culture. The riveting, realistic ancestor portraits supremely powerful likenesses were important objects of veneration, and the practice of making memorial portraits continued into the twentieth century, when paintings were gradually replaced by photographs.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780804742634 20160527
- Publication date
- Catalog of an exhibition held June 17-Sept. 9, 2001 at Sackler Gallery.
- 0804742626 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0804742634 (softcover : alk. paper)
- 9780804742627 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780804742634 (softcover : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: