Encyclopedia of mathematics education
- editors, Louise S. Grinstein, Sally I. Lipsey.
- New York : RoutledgeFalmer, 2001.
- Physical description
- xxviii, 879 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|QA11 .E665 2001||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- I. Applications Acturial mathematics-- applications for the classroom-- overview-- economics-- environmental mathematics-- health-- modeling-- numerical analysis-- operations research-- population growth-- sports. II. Assessment Assessment of student achievement-- overview-- evaluation of instruction-- overview-- National Assessment of Educational Progress. III. Content and Instructional Procedures Abstract algebra-- addition-- algebraic numbers-- algorithms-- arithmetic-- axioms-- calculus-- overview-- continuity-- data representation-- decimal system-- inequalities-- inverse functions-- mathematics-- foundations-- mathematics, nature of-- number sense and numeration-- number theory, overview-- probability in elementary school mathematics-- statistics, overview. IV. Curriculum Addition-- curriculum trends-- secondary level-- discrete mathematics-- integration of elementary school mathematics instruction with other subjects-- standards, curriculum. V. Enrichment Art-- enrichment, overview-- family math-- games-- projects for students-- recreations, overview. VI. Governmental Role Federal governement, role of-- mathematics education-- statistical indicators of-- state government, role. VII. History of Mathematics History of mathematics, overview-- Abel, Archimedes, Bernouilli Family, etc-- African customs applied to the mathematics classroom, Babylonian mathematics, Islam, etc. VIII. Issues Assessment of student achievement, issues-- basic skills-- developmental (remedial) mathematics-- ethnomathematics-- evaluation of instruction, issues-- gifted, special programs for-- learning disabilities, overview-- mathematics, philosophical issues-- mathematics anxiety-- minorities, educational problems.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This Encyclopedia is a single-volume reference work for readers and researchers investigating national and international aspects of mathematics education at the elementary, secondary and post-secondary levels. It consists of more than 400 entries, arranged alphabetically by headings of greatest pertinence to mathematics education. The volume also gives users a starting point for in depth research and fills a gap as there is no other volume that unites major aspects (concepts, pedagogy and history) of mathematics education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 081531647X (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780815316473 (acid-free paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: