Vermeer and the Delft school
- Walter Liedtke with Michiel C. Plomp and Axel Rüger ; contributions by Reinier Baarsen ... [et al.].
- New York : Metropolitan Museum of Art ; New Haven [Conn.] : Yale University Press, c2001.
- Physical description
- xiii, 626 p. : ill. (some col.), maps ; 32 cm.
Art & Architecture Library (Bowes)
|N6946.5 .D45 L54 2001 F||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 588-612) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Seventeenth-century Delft has traditionally been viewed as a quaint town whose artists painted scenes of domestic life. This important book revises that image, showing that the small but vibrant Dutch city produced fine examples of all the major arts, including luxury goods and sophisticated paintings for the court at The Hague and for patrician collectors in Delft itself. The book traces the history and culture of Delft from the 1200s through the lifetime of the city's most renowned painter, Johannes Vermeer. The authors discuss at length some ninety major paintings (seventeen by Vermeer), forty drawings, and a choice selection of decorative arts, all of which are reproduced in full colour. Among the paintings are state portraits, history pictures, still lifes, views of palaces and church interiors, illusionistic murals, and refined genre pictures by Vermeer and Pieter de Hooch. The rich works on paper encompass exquisite drawings by Delft artists and sketches of the town by visiting artists. Included in the decorative arts are tapestries, bronze statuary, silver, Delftware, and glass. The volume concludes with an essay that takes the reader on a walk through seventeenth-century Delft. It is accompanied by maps of the city's neighbourhoods that indicate major monuments and the homes of patrons, art dealers, and painters. This handsome book serves as the catalogue for an exhibition to be held at The Metropolitan Museum of Art from 5 March to 27 May 2001 and at the National Gallery, London, from 20 June to 26 September 2001.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780300088489 20160527
- Publication date
- Catalog of an exhibition held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, N.Y., Mar. 8-May 27, 2001 and at the National Gallery, London, June 20-Sept. 16, 2001.
- 0870999737 (hc. : alk. paper)
- 0870999745 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0300088485 (Yale Univ. Press)
- 9780870999734 (hc. : alk. paper)
- 9780870999741 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780300088489 (Yale University Press)
Browse related items
Start at call number: