The new Grove dictionary of jazz
- edited by Barry Kernfeld.
- 2nd ed.
- New York : Grove's Dictionaries Inc., 2002.
- Physical description
- 3 v. : ill. ; 29 cm.
Library has: v.1-
|ML102 .J3 N53 2002 V.1||In-library use|
|ML102 .J3 N53 2002 V.2||In-library use|
|ML102 .J3 N53 2002 V.3||In-library use|
- Kernfeld, Barry Dean, 1950- Editor
- Includes bibliographical references (v. 3, p. 1031-1079) and discographies.
- 7750 revised & updated articles of which 2750 are new entries-- 2250 new biographies, of which 1500 cover musicians who came to prominence in the 1980s and 1990s-- articles on jazz in it cultural context-- selected films and videos section lists performances or interviews of artists-- 2500 venues in the nightclub catalogue cover international performance spaces-- coverage of international musicians including unprecedented new entries on Caribbean, South African and Japanese musicians-- over 300 entries on record companies and labels-- article on jazz - etymology-- examination of jazz's relationship to diverse styles such as acid jazz, salsa, hip-hop and ska-- individual entries on 20 of the most important festivals and a concise catalogue of over 450 festivals-- entry types include - biographies, performers, venues, instruments, record labels/companies, festivals, terms, styles, genres, concepts.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Another title updated in the "New Grove" series in 2001. In 3 volumes and with 7750 articles, "The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz", second edition is a resource for any serious jazz enthusiast or scholar. Featuring 2750 new entries and 1500 new biographies of musicians who came to prominence in the 1980s and 1990s, this new edition draws on the explosion of jazz research over the past dozen years. In addition, Barry Kernfield and his team have completely revised and updated all entries and have made tens of thousands of corrections throughout. New features include unprecedented coverage of previously underrepresented areas in world jazz, such as Caribbean, South African and Japanese musicians, extended lists of venues world-wide, a selected films and videos section, and the inclusion of URLs in the bibliographies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Dictionary of jazz
- 1561592846 (alk. paper)
- 9781561592845 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: