Music, culture, and the library : an analysis of discourses
- Sanna Talja.
- Uniform Title
- Musiikki, kulttuuri, kirjasto. English
- Lanham, Md. : Scarecrow Press, 2001.
- Physical description
- vi, 239 p. ; 23 cm.
- Talja, Sanna, 1963-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 213-227) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- This text is concerned with the variable conceptions of art, culture and civilization, and their effects in the formation of the library institution. It examines the variability of culture and art conceptions in the context of the music library institution and addresses the following questions: how does the variability in conceptions of art, culture and civilization affect the way in which the aims and functions of public libraries' music are defined? and how can the variability in culture and art be explained? The book deals with the formation of the library institution in a wider social and historical context. The formation of the library is approached by uncovering the more general nature of library discourses, their dependences on historically formed large-scale theories of culture, art and civilization. The aim of this book is to systematically examine differences and tensions in art, culture and civilization discourses to build an overall picture of the moral narratives influencing the library institution and other cultural institutions.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780810840263 20160528
- Publication date
- 081084026X (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780810840263 (cloth : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: