P. Virgilii Maronis Opera : ex antiquis monimentis illustrata
- cura, studio & sumtibus Henrici Justice, Armigeri ...
- Uniform Title
- Works. 1775
- [Brussels?] : Prostant venales apud J.L. de Boubers Bruxellis, [ca. 1775?]
- Physical description
- 5 v. : ill., ports., map ; 24 cm.
At the library
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
Library has: v.1-
|PA6801 .A2 1775||In-library use|
- 1. Bucolica. Georgica
- v. 2-4. Aeneis
- v. 5. Monumentorum per totum opus sparsorum index.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Facsimile reprint of original ed., The Hague, 1757-1765. Dated to beginning of 19th cent. by Brunet & Mambelli, apparently based on the assumption the dedication in v. 1 was to Emperor Francis II. As it is signed H. Justice and the header ill. is signed M.P. s., as are the other headers & footers, it is clear that it is part of the original work and is to Emperor Francis I (1745-1765); cf. v. 5, leaves 3-4 (4th group), describing the art work in the dedication. J.L. de Boubers was active in Brussels in the 1770s & 1780s.
- Text is engraved; engraved illustrations signed Marcus Pitteri.
- Vol. 5, containing the discussion of the ill. by "Christoph. Saxius," has title: P. Virgilii Maronis Operum vol. V, sive, Monumentorum per totum opus sparsorum index / aere & sumtibus Guilielmi Iustice Henr. f. Includes dedication to Empress Catherine of Russia dated 4 Jul. 1765.
- Pagination: v. 1: , 14, 139 leaves,  leaves of plates; v. 2: , 130 leaves,  leaves of plates; v. 3: , 142 leaves,  leaves of plates; v 4: , 155 leaves,  leaves of plates; v. 5: , 3, 2, 87 leaves.
- The plates are portraits, illustrations of ancient buildings, gems and coins, and a double-page map of the voyages of Aeneas (v. 2).
- Brunet, v. 5, column 1293.
- Mambelli, G. Edizioni virgiliane, 415.
- Stanford copy 1 (RBC): Provenance: presentation inscription to Robert Braithwaite Batty from his father Robert Batty. Binding errors: v. 1, leaf 139 bound at end, v. 3; v. 5, p. 2 (4th group) bound after p. 2 (3rd group).
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: