Martin Stone, Bookscout : twenty-two photographs by Steven J. Gelberg with an essay by Peter B. Howard
- Gelberg, Steven J., photographer.
- Berkeley, Calif. :bSerendipty Books, 2000.
- Physical description
- 22 prints in portfolio, with 14 p. essay.
- Included with the photographs and 2 copies of the Howard essay, are the publication announcement and the menu for Serendipity Books seventh biennial open house, 10 Feb. 1999, the occasion for which Martin Stone came to America. Includes inscription and note by Peter Howard.
- Publication date
- "This photographic portfolio is the first publication by a gifted Bay Area photographer, Steven J. Gelberg, who took up photography after 20 years as a Hindu monk. Gelberg believes that the subject's soul is visible in his physiognomy and has captured the living likeness of Martin Stone, a man believed by Peter B. Howard, and others, to be the world's greatest living bookscout." Howard's essay "documents the triumphs and, of course, near misses that characterize the activity of this complex man in one of his fields of endeavor: that of finding the rare books that no one else can locate, or imagine." Quoted from the publication announcement.
- Purchased, 2001.