A short guide to writing about music
- Jonathan Bellman.
- New York : Longman, c2000.
- Physical description
- xv, 174 p. : ill. ; 21 cm.
- Short guide series.
- Bellman, Jonathan, 1957-
- Preface. Acknowledgments.
- 1. Writing about Music. Words about Music: Why? Choosing an Audience. Kinds of Writing. Criticism. The Author's Opinion: Clarity and Restraint.
- 2. Writing about Music by and for Those Who Cannot (Necessarily) Read It. What You Can and Cannot Do. The Reaction Paper. The Concert Review. Popular and World Musics.
- 3. Writing Music Analysis. Analysis and Its Uses. Analytical Content vs. Play-by-Play.
- 4. Three Kinds of Practical Writing. Program and Liner Notes. Summaries and Abstracts. The Press Release.
- 5. Opinion and the Writing of an Effective Essay. Presentation and Tone. The Writing Process: From Outline to Final Draft. Hints on Beginning. Collegial Editing: Essays as Peer Review Exercises.
- 6. Research in Music. The Purposes of Research. Choice of Topic. Kinds of Written Sources. Use of Sources. Citing Your Sources. Turning Research Into Writing. Whose Ideas?
- 7. A Sample Research Paper in Music. "Similar Processes, Different Results: Development in the Piano Works of Gyorgy Ligeti", by Tim Sullivan. Commentary on the Student Paper.
- 8. Style in Writing. The Meaning of "Style". Academic Style Traits. Fashioning Clear Sentences. Punctuation. Accuracy in Wording. Toward a Personal Style.
- 9. The Final Manuscript. General Format. Musical Examples and Captions. Citations. Sample Citations. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Written in a clear and conversational style, A Short Guide to Writing About Music examines a wide range of writing assignments for music courses at all levels of the undergraduate curriculum. Employing a variety of writing samples as a means to illustrate effective writing, this brief and inexpensive text teaches writers how to deftly research and write about music.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Short guide series
- Includes index.
Browse related items
Start at call number: