Schoenberg and words : the modernist years
- New York : Garland Pub., 2000.
- Physical description
- xxv, 370 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Garland reference library of the humanities. Border crossings ; v. 11.
ML410 .S283 S37 2000
- Unknown ML410 .S283 S37 2000
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Foreward Introduction PART ONE 1. Schoenberg and GermanPoetry Robert Vilain 2. Gurrelieder and the Fall of the Gods: Schoenbergs' Struggle with the Leagcy of Wagner Brian G. Campbell 3. Schoenberg Sets Petrach: Schopenhauer, Mahler and the Poetics of Resignation Robert R. HOlzer 4. 'The Ear of the Other': Style and Identity in Schoenberg's Eight Songs, op. 6 Alan Street 5. 'Die Frauenfrage' in Erwartung: Schoenberg's Collaboration with Marie Pappenheim Elizabeth L. Keathley 6. Physical Motif and Aural Salience: Sounds and Symbols in Die gluckliche Hand, op. 18 Edward D. Latham 7. Pierrot's Cave: Representation, Reverberation, Radiance Ricahrd Kurth 8. The Artist as Modern Prophet: A Study of Historical Consciousness and Its Expression in Schoenberg's Vorgefuhl op. 22, no. 4 Steven J. Cahn PART TWO 9. Reinventing the Organic Artwork: schoenberg's Changing Image of Tonal Form Severine Neff 10. Schoenberg's @poetics of Music', the Twelve-Tone Method and the Musical idea John Covach 11. Modernism and Words: Schoenberg, Adorno, Moses Murray Dineen.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This work disentangles significant aspects of Schoenberg's complex relationship with turn of the century modernism. These essays focus on the two important aspects of the composer's career: the musical works he composed to literary texts and his writings on theoretical, aesthetic and ethical issues, from the mid-1890s to 1916. This work disentangles significant aspects of Schoenberg's complex relationship with turn of the century modernism. These essays focus on two aspects of the composer's career and examine the context of his works composed from the mid-1890s through to 1916.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Charlotte M. Cross and Russell A. Berman.
- Garland reference library of the humanities. Border crossings ; v. 11
- 0815328303 (alk. paper)
- 9780815328308 (alk. paper)