- edited by Andrew Kirkman and Dennis Slavin.
- Oxford [England] ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Physical description
- xviii, 353 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
|ML410 .B5885 B56 2000||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -342) and indexes.
- PREFACE-- INTRODUCTION-- BINCHOIS IN CONTEXT: LITURGY, STYLE, CULTURE-- Binchois and Sacred Music at the Burgundian Court-- After Burgundy: Rethinking Binchois's Years in Soignies-- Rites of Passage. Music in (Social and Ceremonial) Action: Nove cantum melodie, The Burgundian Court, and Binchois's Early Career-- THE SACRED MUSIC: STYLE, CONTEXT, AND THE BINCHOIS CANON-- Binchois and England: Some Questions of Style, Influence, and Attribution in his Sacred Works-- Binchois the Borrower-- Wiser's Codices and the absconditus Binchois-- THE SONGS-- The Binchois Game: Tonal Coherence and Compositional Style-- Bridging the Medial Caesura: The Wraparound Rondeau-- Binchois and the Poets-- Binchois's Songs in the Feo Belcari Manuscript-- FROM MANUSCRIPT TO EDITION: ISSUES OF THEORY AND EDITING-- Accidentals in Binchois's Songs-- The Use of Cut Signatures in Sacred Music by Binchois-- Towards a Theory of Text-Music Relations in the Music of the Renaissance.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780198166689 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- A man of huge reputation in his own right and as an alumnus of one of the most sophisticated courts in the history of western Europe, the fifteenth century composer Binchois remains for us, at the turn of the twenty first century, one of the key musical figures of his age. Yet in spite of the attention afforded him in the past, he remains, perhaps more than ever, an enigma. One of the chief aims of this book, surprisingly the first concerned solely with the composer, is to attempt to begin to unravel that enigma by viewing him from a variety of contrasting angles. In so doing it will also provide a catalyst for further research which will further deepen our understanding not only of Binchois himself, but also of the cultural environment of which he was part.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780198166689 20160528
- Publication date
- Papers, most originally presented at the First International Conference on Gilles de Bins, Dit Binchois (Oct. 31-Nov. 1, 1995, CUNY Graduate Center).
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: