The Blackwell companion to political sociology
- edited by Kate Nash and Alan Scott.
- Malden, Mass. ; Oxford : Blackwell Publishers, 2001.
- Physical description
- xiv, 478 p. ; 26 cm.
- Blackwell companions to sociology.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 418-461) and index.
- Introduction / Kate Nash and Alan Scott
- 1. Developments in Marxist Theory / Bob Jessop
- 2. Developments in Pluralist and Elite Approaches / Richard Bellamy
- 3. Rational Choice Approaches to Analyzing Power / Keith Dowding
- 4. Power, Government, Politics / Barry Hindess
- 5. Society, Morality, and Law: Jurgen Habermas / Max Pensky
- 6. A Political Sociology for Complex Societies: Niklas Luhmann / Stefan Lange and Uwe Schimank
- 7. "Postmodern" Political Sociology / David Owen
- 8. Studying Power / John Scott
- 9. Theories of State Formation / Gianfranco Poggi
- 10. Political Legitimacy / David Beetham
- 11. Gender and the State / R. W. Connell
- 12. Administration, Civil Service, and Bureaucracy / Antonino Palumbo
- 13. Policy Networks / Peter John
- 14. Parties and Political Intermediation / Herbert Kitschelt
- 15. Protest and Political Process / David S. Meyer
- 16. The Media and Politics / John B. Thompson
- 17. The Political Sociology of War / Alan Scott
- 18. Revolution / Michael Drake
- 19. Terror Against the State / Donatella Della Porta
- 20. Civil Society and the Public Sphere / Larry Ray
- 21. Trust and Social Capital / Arnaldo Bagnasco
- 22. Markets and States / Colin Crouch
- 23. Markets Against States: Neo-liberalism / Fran Tonkiss
- 24. Beyond New Social Movements: Social Conflicts and Institutions /
- Pierre Hamel and Louis Maheu
- 25. The Politics of Ethnicity and Identity / Aletta J. Norval
- 26. Imagined Communities / Alan Finlayson
- 27. Political Rituals / Sigrid Baringhorst
- 28. The Politics of Popular Culture / John Street
- 29. Body Politics / Roberta Sassatelli
- 30. Citizenship and Gender / Ruth Lister
- 31. Postnational Citizenship: Reconfiguring the Familiar Terrain / Yasemin Nuhoglu Soysal
- 32. Governmentality and Citizenship / Giovanna Procacci
- 33. Transformation, Transition, Consolidation: Democratization in Latin America / Joe Foweraker
- 34. Feminism and Democracy / Judith Squires
- 35. Postmodernization / Jan Pakulski
- 36. Nationalism and Fragmentation Since 1989 / John Schwarzmantel
- 37. A New Phase of the State Story in Europe / Patrick Le Gales
- 38. The "Singapore Model": Democracy, Communication, and Globalization / Danilo Zolo.
- Publisher's Summary
- The Blackwell Companion to Political Sociology brings together original essays covering the broad interdisciplinary field of political sociology. Each contributor uses concepts, theories, and case studies to investigate their topic and provide a complete overview of the scholarship. Contains 38 original essays by leading authorities creating the most comprehensive overview available in the field of political sociology Covers traditional questions as well as emerging topics including recent debates on gender, citizenship, and political identity Includes detailed editorial introduction, abstracts, further reading lists, and a consolidated bibliography. The volume presents an excellent guide for students as well as researchers seeking a complete reference to the field and a guide to future concerns.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Political sociology.
- Publication date
- Blackwell companions to sociology
- 0631210504 (alk. paper)
- 9780631210504 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: