World energy assessment : energy and the challenge of sustainability
- New York, NY : United Nations Development Programme, c2000.
- Physical description
- vii, 508 p. : col. ill. ; 28 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- This report is based on the premise that energy is an essential component of sustainable development of social and economic progress that meets the needs of both present and future generations. The report discusses the linkage between energy and economic, social, environmental, and security issues, and analyzes the contradictions between current patterns of use and objectives in these areas. Key features include reviews of energy resources and technology options from the point of view of sustainability including better end-use efficiency, greater reliance on renewable sources of energy, and next-generation nuclear and fossil-fuel technologies; examination of plausible scenarios for combining various options to achieve a sustainable and relatively prosperous future; and consideration of policy options for producing and using energy in ways that are compatible with sustainable development.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- United Nations Development Programme, United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, World Energy Council ; [edited by José Goldemberg].
- 9211261260 (recycled, acid-free paper)
- 9789211261264 (recycled, acid-free paper)