- a Florentine Films production ; produced by Ken Burns, Lynn Novick ; a film [directed] by Ken Burns ; written by Geoffrey C. Ward.
- English. Closed captioned.
- [Washington, D.C.?] : PBS DVD ; Burbank, CA : distributed by Warner Home Video, c2000.
- Physical description
- 10 videodiscs (ca. 19 hr.) : sd., col. with b&w sequences ; 4 3/4 in.
- PBS DVD gold
Library has: Episode 1-
10 <on 10 discs>
|MDVD 3 EPISODE 1||Unknown|
|MDVD 3 EPISODE 2||Unknown|
|MDVD 3 EPISODE 3||Unknown|
|MDVD 3 EPISODE 4||Unknown|
|MDVD 3 EPISODE 5||Unknown|
|MDVD 3 EPISODE 6||Unknown|
|MDVD 3 EPISODE 7||Unknown|
|MDVD 3 EPISODE 8||Unknown|
|MDVD 3 EPISODE 9||Unknown|
|MDVD 3 EPISODE 10||Unknown|
- Episode 1. Gumbo (ca. 90 min.)
- episode 2. The gift (ca. 120 min.)
- episode 3. Our language (ca. 120 min.)
- episode 4. The true welcome (ca. 120 min.)
- episode 5. Swing : pure pleasure (ca. 90 min.)
- episode 6. Swing : the velocity of celebration (ca. 105 min.)
- episode 7. Dedicated to chaos (ca. 120 min.)
- episode 8. Risk (ca. 120 min.)
- episode 9. The adventure (ca. 120 min.)
- episode 10. A masterpiece by midnight (ca. 120 min.).
- Documentary exploring the history of jazz from its beginnings through the 1990's, including the stories of many of its creators and performers. Includes archival video, still photographs, historical performances, and newly recorded interviews and musical performances.
- Publication date
- Produced for television and first broadcast in 10 episodes on PBS beginning January, 2001.
- Insert with episode contents in container for episode 1.
- Includes Making of Jazz featurette (20 min.) ; three performances not included in the television broadcast (by Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington and Miles Davis) ; access during play to information about the performances heard in the program ; access to PBS web site by utilizing DVD-ROM drive on computer.
- Production Credits
- Cinematography, Buddy Squire, Ken Burns ; supervising film editor, Paul Barnes ; editors, Paul Barnes (episode 1), Sandra Marie Christie (episodes 2, 8), Lewis Erskine (episodes 3, 9), Craig Mellish (episode 3), Erik Ewers (episodes 4, 7), Tricia Reidy (episodes 5, 10), Sarah E. Hill (episodes 5, 10), Shannon Robards (episode 5), Aaron Vega (episode 6) ; narrator, Keith David.
- DVD, dual-layer, stereo.
- DVD-ROM features require a DVD-ROM drive, with Windows 95 or higher, or MacOS 9.0.4 or higher, to access web link.
- Included Work
- Our language.
- True welcome.
- Swing : pure pleasure.
- Swing : the velocity of celebration.
- Dedicated to chaos.
- Masterpiece by midnight.
- Publisher Number
- B8262D (B8263D--B8272D) PBS DVD
Browse related items
Start at call number: