Manuscript leaf with commentary by Bede
- Uniform Title
- Bible. Exodus
- Latin. In Latin.
- France, circa 1175.
- Physical description
- 1 leaf, on vellum. 32x20.8 cm. Matted.
- This text (28:16-26) has the better part of the description of the garments of the priests contained in the verses of Exodus 28. It is written in a large textura hand, each sentence or lengthy phrase beginning with a red or blue capital. The Biblical text is presented in a single, narrow column just under 2" wide. To its left and right is the extensive commentary of Bede (ca. 672-735), the Anglo-Saxon Benedictine scholar and theologian. The commentary is written in a smaller textura hand. There is additional inter-linear commentary within the column of Bible text in an even smaller hand.
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
- Reported to: The Bibliographic Society of America publication on pre-1600 manuscript holdings in North America.
- Purchased, 1999. Accession 1999-247.