Manuscript leaf with commentary by Bede
- Uniform Title
- Bible. Exodus
- Latin. In Latin.
- France, circa 1175.
- Physical description
- 1 leaf, on vellum. 32x20.8 cm. Matted.
The Manuscripts Division of the Department of Special Collections at Stanford University Library exists to arrange, describe, preserve, and make available documents of enduring historic value, both as intellectual items \n and as historical artifacts, to support the research needs of the undergraduates, graduate students, faculty and other scholars at Stanford University and beyond.
- This text (28:16-26) has the better part of the description of the garments of the priests contained in the verses of Exodus 28. It is written in a large textura hand, each sentence or lengthy phrase beginning with a red or blue capital. The Biblical text is presented in a single, narrow column just under 2" wide. To its left and right is the extensive commentary of Bede (ca. 672-735), the Anglo-Saxon Benedictine scholar and theologian. The commentary is written in a smaller textura hand. There is additional inter-linear commentary within the column of Bible text in an even smaller hand.
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
- Reported to: The Bibliographic Society of America publication on pre-1600 manuscript holdings in North America.
- Purchased, 1999. Accession 1999-247.