Region and partition : Bengal, Punjab and the partition of the subcontinent
- edited by Ian Talbot and Gurharpal Singh.
- Karachi ; Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1999.
- Physical description
- viii, 407 p. ; 23 cm.
At the library
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Peasant nationalsim and the politics of partition : the class-communal symbiosis in East Bengal 1940-1947 / Taj-ul-Islam Hashmi
- Regionalsim or personality cult? : Allama Mashriqi and the Tehreek-i-Khaksar in pre-1947 Punjab / Iftikhar H. Malik
- The partition of India in a comparative perspective : a long-term view / Gurharpal Singh
- The 1947 partition of Punjab : arguments put forth before the Punjab Boundary Comission by the parties involved / Ishtiaq Ahmed
- The making of a borderline : the Radcliffe award for Bengal / Joya Chatterji
- Partition, migration and assimilation : a comparative study of Pakistani Punjab / Mohammad Waseem
- Literature and the human drama of the 1947 partition / Ian Talbot
- The partition of Punjab : its impact upon Sikh sacred and cultural space / Gurdit Singh and Carol C. Fair
- Partition and Kashmir : implications for the region and the diaspora / Patricia Ellis and Zafar Khan
- The unidentical Punjab twins : some explanations of comparative agricultural performance since partition / Shinder S. Thandi
- Post-partition refugees and the communists : a comparative study of West Bnegal and Tripura / H. Bhattacharyya
- State, nation, identity : ideology and conflict in Bangladesh / Tazeen M. Murshid
- Reflections on partition : Pakistan perspective / Yunas Samad.
A comparative perspective of the two Muslim majority areas of the subcontinent most affected by the turmoil which followed the British decision to divide and quit in 1947. The text presents insights into both the mechanisms of boundary drawing and the consequences for the millions of ordinary people caught up in the massacres and migrations.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Partition, Territorial > History > 20th century > Congresses.
- India > History > Partition, 1947 > Congresses.
- Pakistan > Politics and government > Congresses.
- Bengal (India) > History > Partition, 1947 > Congresses.
- Punjab (India) > History > Partition, 1947 > Congresses.
- India > History > Partition, 1947.
- Pakistan > Politics and government.
- Publication date
- "Many of the chapters in this volume were presented as papers at the fourteenth European Conference on Modern South Asian Studies held at Copenhagen in August 1996"--P. 4.
Browse related items
Start at call number: