A handbook of dates : for students of British history
- edited by C.R. Cheney ; revised by Michael Jones.
- New ed.
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Physical description
- xvii, 246 p. ; 23 cm.
- Guides and handbooks ; no. 4.
- Preface to the new edition-- Preface to the original edition (1945)-- 1. Reckonings of time-- 2. Rulers of England and regnal years-- 3. List of Popes-- 4. Saints' days and festivals used in dating-- 5. Legal chronology-- 6. The Roman calendar-- 7. Celtic and Roman (Alexandrian) Easter Days, AD 400-768-- 8. Calendars for all possible dates of Easter AD 400-2100-- 9. Easter Days according to old style, AD 400-1752-- 10. Easter Days according to new style, AD 1583-2100-- 11. The English calendar for 1752-- 12. Dates of adoption of Gregorian calendar in Europe-- 13. The French Revolutionary calendar-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521770958 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- A Handbook of Dates is an unrivalled reference book for historians. It provides in clear, user-friendly form, tables which allow the calculation of the dates (and days) on which historical events have fallen or will fall, from AD 500 to 2100. It describes the calendars and other systems used for dating purposes in England from Roman times to the present, including regnal years. Lists of Easter dates, saints' days, popes, rulers of England and the Roman calendar are also given. In this updated and expanded edition, edited by Professor Michael Jones, the introductory materials for each set of tables has been revised. New tables for legal chronology, old and new style dates, Celtic Easter, adoption of Gregorian style, and the French Revolutionary calendar have been added, while the existing Anglo-Saxon regnal lists have been significantly revised. A Handbook of Dates is an essential tool for all researchers in British history.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521770958 20160528
- Publication date
- Royal Historical Society guides and handbooks ; no. 4
- Rev. ed. of: Handbook of dates for students of English history. 1945.
- Includes index.
- Related Work
- Handbook of dates for students of English history.
- 0521770955 (hb.)
- 052177845X (pb.)
- 9780521778459 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: