Travel culture : essays on what makes us go
- edited by Carol Traynor Williams.
- Westport, Conn. : Praeger, 1998.
- Physical description
- xxiv, 193 p. ; 25 cm.
- Williams, Carol T., 1935-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -182) and index.
- Introduction by Carol Traynor Williams-- Sight-Seeing: The 20th-Century Perspective-- Origins of Sight-Seeing by Judith Adler-- "The Whole World Within Reach": Travel Images without Borders by Tom Gunning-- (Inter)Disciplinary Perspectives-- White Knee Socks vs. Photojournalist Vests: Distinguishing Between Travelers and Tourists by Marielle Risse-- Childhood and Travel Literature by David Espey-- Popular Science on the Road: Adventures in Island Biogeography by Michael Bryson-- Mapmaking: The Poet As Travel Writer by Beatriz Badikian-- Identity in John Lloyd Stephens' Incidents of Travel in Central America, Chiapas, and Yucatan by William E. Lenz-- D. H. Lawrence in Taos: High Pilgrimage, Low Pilgrimage by John W. Presley-- Lawrence and Beauvoir at Tua-Tah: European Views of the Heart of the World by Tamara Teale-- "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow": Historic Memory and Gender in Walt Disney's "Carousel of Progress" by Lynn Y. Weiner-- Route 66: Still Kickin' for Students and International Visitors by Terri Ryburn-LaMonte-- Pioneer "Stargazers": 20th-Century Travel Personified-- Touring America in a Model T by David Tomlinson-- Learning Our Way around the World: The Overseas Teaching Subculture by Ruth Carrington-- Annotated Bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Travel has been defined as one of humankind's primary and universal activities. This interdisciplinary collection of essays calls attention to the extent to which travel and tourism have permeated our lives and our society. The contributors introduce a wide range of intellectual perspectives through which travel culture is defined. From classic literature to travel diaries, from commercial films to home photography, this study of travel culture includes both high and low art.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 0275957276 (alk. paper)
- 9780275957278 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: