Encyclopedia of lesbian and gay histories and cultures
- edited by Bonnie Zimmerman and George Haggerty.
- New York : Garland ; London : Taylor & Francis, 1999.
- Physical description
- 2 v. (1400 p.) ; 26 cm.
- A sampling of the coverage: ACT UP, AIDS in the Media, AIDS Literature, Antiquity, Business and Gay Culture, Camp, Chicano Gay Culture, Cowboy Culture, Daughters of Bilitis, Decadence, Early Christianity, Elegiac Poetry, French Symbolism, Gay and Lesbian Press, Gay Histories and Cultures, Humor, International Activism, Italian Literature, Latina Literature, Lesbian Churches, Lesbian Feminism, Lesbian History and Cultures, Lesbian Literature, Lesbian Studies, Mystery and Detective Fiction, New Woman, Outing, Pacific Literature, Romantic Friendship, Sapphic Tradition, Queer Politics, Queer Skinheads, Queer Theory, Science Fiction, Stonewall, Rebellion, Transgender, Women of Color, 'zines.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780815333548 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- Beginning in 1869, when the study of homosexuality can be said to have begun with the establishment of sexology, this 2 volume Encyclopedia offers accounts of the most important international developments in an area that now occupies a critical place in many fields of academic endeavours. It covers a long history and a dynamic and ever changing present, while opening up the academic profession to new scholarship and new ways of thinking. While gays and lesbians have shared many aspects of life, their histories and cultures developed in profoundly different ways. To reflect this crucial fact, the Encyclopedia has been prepared in two separate volumes assuring that both histories receive full, unbiased attention and that a broad range of human experience is covered. Intended as a reference for students and scholars in all fields, as well as the general public, the encyclopedia is written in user-friendly language. At the same time it maintains a high level of scholarship that incorporates both passion and objectivity. It is written by some of the most famous names in the field, as well as new scholars, whose research continues to advance gender studies into the future.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780815333548 20160527
- Publication date
Browse related items
Start at call number: