- John Milnor.
- Uniform Title
- Works. Selections. 1994
- v. 1:Houston, Tex. : Publish or Perish, c1994-
- v. 2- Providence, R.I. : American Mathematical Society
- Physical description
- v. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Math & Statistics Library
Library has: v.1-
|QA3 .M55 1994 V.1||Unknown|
|QA3 .M55 1994 V.2||Unknown|
|QA3 .M55 1994 V.3||Unknown|
|QA3 .M55 1994 V.4||Unknown|
|QA3 .M55 1994 V.5||Unknown|
|QA3 .M55 1994 V.6||Unknown|
|QA3 .M55 1994 V.7||Unknown|
- Milnor, John W. (John Willard), 1931-
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Exotic spheres: Introduction: How these papers came to be written On manifolds homeomorphic to the 7-sphere On the relationship between differentiable manifolds and combinatorial manifolds Sommes de varietes differentiables et structures differentiables des spheres Differentiable structures on spheres A procedure of killing homotopy groups of differentiable manifolds Differentiable manifolds which are homotopy spheres with M. A. Kervaire, Groups of homotopy spheres: I Differential topology Expository lectures: Introduction with J. R. Munkres, Lectures on differential topology (Notes by J. R. Munkres) Lectures on differentiable structures Smooth manifolds with boundary Relations with algebraic topology: Introduction with R. Bott, On the parallelizability of the spheres Some consequences of a theorem of Bott On te Whitehead homomorphism $J$ with M. A. Kervaire, Bernoulli numbers, homotopy groups and a theorem of Rohlin Cobordism: Introduction On the cobordism ring $\Omega*$ On the cobordism ring $\Omega*$ and a complex analogue, part I Travaux de Milnor surle cobordisme A survey of cobordism theory A survey of cobordism (Erratum) Spin structures on manifolds Remarks concerning spin manifolds On the Stiefel-Whitney numbers of complex manifolds and of spin manifolds A concluding amusement: Symmetry breaking Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780821842300 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The field of differential topology underwent a dramatic development period between 1955 and 1965. This collection of articles written by one of the creators of this field contains not only original papers, but also previously unpublished expository lectures. It includes commentary by the author, filling in some of the historical context, and outlining subsequent developments. It includes a rich bibliography of newer and older papers, providing a wider and deeper understanding of the subject. It also outlines the actual state of the art, and provides an index that will allow the reader to browse easily through the book. Of particular interest are the articles related to the existence of exotic differentiable structures on spheres, the achievement for which J. Milnor was awarded the Fields Medal in 1962.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780821842300 20160528
- The development of algebraic topology in the 1950's and 1960's was deeply influenced by the work of Milnor. In this collection of papers, the reader finds those original papers and some previously unpublished works. The book is divided into four parts: Homotopy Theory, Homology and Cohomology, Manifolds, and Expository Papers. Introductions to each part provide some historical context and subsequent development. Of particular interest are the articles on classifying spaces, the Steenrod algebra, the introductory notes on foliations and the surveys of work on the Poincare conjecture. Together with the previously published volumes I-III of the "Collected Works" by John Milnor, volume IV provides a rich portion of the most important developments in geometry and topology from those decades. This volume is highly recommended to a broad mathematical audience, and, in particular, to young mathematicians who will certainly benefit from their acquaintance with Milnor's mode of thinking and writing.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780821844755 20160528
- In addition to his seminal work in topology, John Milnor is also an accomplished algebraist, producing a spectacular agenda-setting body of work related to algebraic $K$-theory and quadratic forms during the five year period 1965-1970. These papers, together with other (some of them previously unpublished) works in algebra are assembled here in this fifth volume of Milnor's Collected Papers. They constitute not only an important historical archive, but also, thanks to the clarity and elegance of Milnor's mathematical exposition, a valuable resource for work in the fields treated. In addition, Milnor's papers are complemented by detailed surveys on the current state of the field in two areas. One is on the congruence subgroup problem, by Gopal Prasad and Andrei Rapinchuk. The other is on algebraic $K$-theory and quadratic forms, by Alexander Merkurjev.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780821848760 20160606
- Beginning date
- 0914098306 (v. 1)
- 9780914098300 (v. 1)
- 0914098314 (v.2)
- 9780914098317 (v.2)
- 9780821842300 (alk. paper) (v.3)
- 0821842307 (alk. paper) (v.3)
- 9780821844755 (v. 4 : alk. paper)
- 9780821848760 (v. 5)
- 9780821891391 (v. 6)
- 9781470409371 (v .7 : alk. paper)
- 1470409372 (v. 7 : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: