Stanford University, School of Earth Sciences, records, 1893-2005
- Physical description
- 18.75 linear ft.
Also available at
At the library
Finding aidOnline Archive of California
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|SC0405 2002-020 BOX 1||In-library use|
|SC0405 2016-135 BOX 8||In-library use|
|SC0405 2016-135 BOX 9||In-library use|
|SC0405 2016-135 BOX 10||In-library use|
|SC0405 2016-135 CARTON 1||In-library use|
|SC0405 2016-135 CARTON 2||In-library use|
|SC0405 2016-135 CARTON 3||In-library use|
|SC0405 2016-135 CARTON 4||In-library use|
|SC0405 2016-135 CARTON 5||In-library use|
|SC0405 2016-135 CARTON 6||In-library use|
|SC0405 2016-135 CARTON 7||In-library use|
|SC0405 2016-135 FLAT BOX 11||In-library use|
|SC0405 2016-135 FLAT BOX 12||In-library use|
|SC0405 SERIES 1 FLAT BOX 2||In-library use|
|SC0405 SERIES 1 HALF BOX 1||In-library use|
- Corporate Author
- Stanford University. School of Earth Sciences.
- Finding aid
- Finding aid
- Early accessions include minutes, by laws, correspondence, reports, memoranda, and other records of the School, 1940-92; minutes, notices, correspondence, by-laws, reports, and miscellaneous records of the Associates of the School of Earth Sciences, 1940-63; a portfolio on the School with photographs and architectural drawings, 1947; and portraits and photographs of faculty, students (including a 1903 geology field trip), and several of Ruth Wattis Mitchell, a benefactor of the School. Of note in the records are minutes, memoranda, and correspondence pertaining to the organization of the School of Mineral Sciences, 1940, and the Report on the School of Mineral Sciences by the Visiting Committee of the Associates of the School of Mineral Sciences, June 14, 1957. Series 2016-135 contains meeting records, correspondence, speeches, presentations, essays, media (photographs, CDs, DVDs, audio cassettes), and documents related to the activities of the School of Earth Sciences. The School was founded in 1891 and underwent several name changes until 2015 when it was renamed to School of Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences. This collection contains items from as far back as 1893 and items as recent as 2005.
- Mitchell, Ruth Wattis.
- Smith, Judy
- Green, Cecil H.
- Associates of the School of Mineral Sciences.
- Associates of the School of Earth Sciences.
- Stanford University. School of Mineral Sciences.
- Stanford University > Students.
- Earth sciences > Study and teaching.
- Geology > Study and teaching (Higher) > California.
- Earliest date
- Latest date
- Special Collections and University Archives materials are stored offsite and must be paged 48 hours in advance. For more information on paging collections, see the department's website: http://library.stanford.edu/spc.
- The materials are open for research use; materials must be requested at least 48 hours in advance of intended use. Audio-visual materials are not available in original format, and must be reformatted to a digital use copy.
- Cite as
- School of Earth Sciences Records, History Collection (SC0405). Dept. of Special Collections, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, Calif.
- All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94305-6064. Consent is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/spc/using-collections/permission-publish. Restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.
- When Stanford University opened in 1891, two of its academic departments were Geology and Mining Engineering. When the departments were organized into Schools in 1926, geology became part of the School of Physical Sciences and mining was placed in the School of Engineering. In January 1947, the School of Mineral Sciences was organized, with A.I. Levorsen as its first Dean. The School, known now as the School of Earth Sciences, has five departments: applied earth sciences, environmental studies, geology, geophysics, and petroleum engineering.
Browse related items
Start at call number: