Jane Lathrop Stanford papers, 1860-1975
- Physical description
- 14 linear feet
Also available at
At the library
Finding aidOnline Archive of California
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|SC0033B SERIES 1 BOX 1||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 1 BOX 2||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 1 BOX 3||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 1 BOX 4||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 1 BOX 5||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 1 BOX 6||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 1 BOX 7||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 1 BOX 8||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 1 BOX 9||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 1 BOX 10||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 1 BOX 11||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 1 BOX 12||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 2 BOX 1||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 3 BOX 1||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 4 BOX 1||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 5 BOX 1||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 5 BOX 2||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 6 BOX 1||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 6 FLAT BOX 2||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 7 BOX 1||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 7 FLAT BOX 2||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 7 FLAT BOX 3||In-library use|
|SC0033B SERIES 8 FLAT BOX 1||In-library use|
- Stanford, Jane Lathrop, 1828-1905.
- Finding aid
- Finding aid
- The papers of Jane L. Stanford pertain largely to the founding and administration of Stanford University, along with her personal and social affairs; included in the papers are correspondence, business records, legal and financial papers, speeches, news clippings, and biographical materials. Correspondence, dating from 1860 to 1905, makes up the larger part of the collection. Most of the correspondence concerns the University. Other topics include personal and social matters, her travels, religious discussions, and her interest in kindergartens. Correspondents include David Starr Jordan, the first president of Stanford University, Charles Lathrop, Susan B. Anthony, Timothy and May Hopkins, Julia D. Grant (Mrs. Ulysses Grant) and other members of the Grant family, Caroline Harrison (Mrs. Benjamin Harrison), and Andrew D. White. There are also a large number of condolence letters on the death of Leland Stanford and of begging letters.
- Anthony, Susan B. (Susan Brownell), 1820-1906.
- Branner, John Casper, 1850-1922.
- Cesnola, Luigi Palma di, 1832-1904.
- Crocker, Charles Frederick.
- Crothers, George Edward, 1870-1957.
- Day, Clinton.
- Harrison, Benjamin, 1833-1901.
- Hopkins, Timothy, 1859-1937.
- Jenkins, Oliver Peebles, Mrs.
- Jordan, David Starr, 1851-1931.
- Jordan, Jessie Knight, 1851-1931.
- Lathrop, Ariel.
- Lathrop, Charles G. (Charles Gardner), 1849-1914.
- Lathrop, Dyer, 1787-1855.
- Lathrop, Jane Ann Shields.
- Lothrop family.
- Leib, Samuel Franklin, 1848-1924.
- Nash, Herbert C.
- Newton, Heber.
- Ross, Edward Alsworth, 1866-1951.
- Shields, Daniel.
- Sloss, Leon.
- Smith, N. T. (Nicholas T.), 1829-1907.
- Stanford, Charles Villiers, 1852-1924.
- Stanford, Gertrude.
- Stanford, Helen M.
- Stanford, Jane Lathrop, 1828-1905.
- Stanford, Josiah W., 1864-1937.
- Stanford, Leland, Jr., 1868-1884
- Stanford, Thomas Welton, 1832-1918.
- Suzzallo, Henry, 1875-1933.
- Taylor, Edward Robeson, 1838-1923.
- Stanford University > Administration.
- Stanford Alumni Association.
- Stanford University > Assembly Hall.
- Stanford University > Faculty.
- Stanford University Faculty Club.
- Gurke Ranch (Calif.)
- Stanford University Japanese Students Association.
- Stanford University. Libraries.
- Stanford Memorial Church.
- Stanford Museum of Art.
- Pacific Improvement Company.
- Palo Alto Stock Farm.
- Southern Pacific Company.
- Shepley, Rutan, & Coolidge, Architects.
- Vina Ranch (Calif.)
- Universities and colleges > Administration.
- Railroads > Management.
- Executors and administrators.
- Claims against decedents' estates.
- Palo Alto (Calif.) > History.
- Stanford, Jane Lathrop > Death.
- Stanford, Jane Lathrop > Estate.
- Stanford, Jane Lathrop > Newton episode.
- Stanford, Jane Lathrop > Religion.
- Stanford, Jane Lathrop > Reminiscences about.
- Stanford, Jane Lathrop > Tributes.
- Stanford University > Buildings.
- Stanford University > Fellowships and Scholarships.
- Stanford University Libraries > Building > 1900.
- Stanford University Libraries > Building > 1906.
- Stanford University Libraries > Collections.
- Stanford University > Roble Hall.
- Stanford University > Statuary.
- Stanford University > Tax Exemption Amendment.
- Earliest date
- Latest date
- Jane Eliza Lathrop was born August 25, 1828, the daughter of Dyer Lathrop of Albany, New York. In 1850 she married Leland Stanford, returning with him to California in 1855 where they settled in Sacramento. Leland Stanford later became President of the Southern Pacific Railroad and Governor of California. Their only child, Leland Stanford, Jr., was born in 1868. During a European tour in 1884 he contracted typhoid fever and died in Florence, Italy. In 1885, Jane and Leland Stanford founded the Leland Stanford Junior University, in memory of their son. Jane was a full partner with her husband in the planning of the University, which opened in the fall of 1891. After her husband's death in 1893, she overcame great financial hardships to keep the University open until her husband's estate was settled. Thereafter, she directed expansion of the campus. She died on February 28, 1905 in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Gifts of Jane Lathrop Stanford, Thomas Welton Stanford, David Starr Jordan, Helen Stanford Canfield, David H. Canfield, and others; also includes purchases.
- Nilan, Roxanne L., "Jane Lathrop Stanford and the Domestication of Stanford University, 1893-1905," SAN JOSE STUDIES 5 (February 1978) 7-29; Nagel, Gunther W., JANE STANFORD : HER LIFE AND LETTERS (Stanford, Calif : Stanford Alumni Assoc., 1975; second edition: IRON WILL, 1985.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: