Stanford University, Board of Control, Graduate Manager of Athletics records, 1904-1915
- Physical description
- .75 linear ft.
Finding aidOnline Archive of California
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
SC0507 BOX 1
SC0507 HALF BOX 2
- In-library use SC0507
- Corporate Author
- Stanford University Board of Control. Graduate Manager of Athletics.
- Finding aid
- Finding aid available on line
Finding aid available online
- These records of the Graduate Manager of Athletics consist primarily of correspondence and financial records pertaining to the scheduling of athletic events and the upkeep of athletic facilities. The managers represented in these records are Richard Watts Barrett, class of 1904; Guy Knupp, class of 1907; John Elmer Stewart, class of 1908; James Ernest Thompson, in attendance 1907-1911; and Arthur Warren Ambrose, class of 1914. Correspondents include the student groups and athletic managers at UC Berkeley; Pomona College; the Universities of Santa Clara, Colorado, Nevada, Oregon, and Southern California; and other schools. Non-collegiate teams include the Olympic Club and the Barbarian Rugby Football Club of San Francisco, the New South Wales Rugby Union of Australia, and the Vancouver Rugby Football Union of Canada. Other correspondents of note include Frank Angell, Stanford professor and member of the Faculty Athletic Committee, James Lanagan (coach), the Pacific Coast Rugby Referees Union, and the Intercollegiate Conference Athletic Association. Most of the collection pertains to football and rugby but other sports such as baseball, basketball, and track are also represented. In addition there are scattered items pertaining to the marching band, the glee club, and other activities of the Associated Students of Stanford University.
- Ambrose, Arthur Warren.
- Angell, Frank, 1857-1939.
- Barrett, Richard Watts.
- Knupp, Guy.
- Lanagan, James.
- Stewart, John Elmer.
- Thompson, James Ernest.
- Stanford University. Associated Students.
- Barbarian Rugby Football Club (San Francisco, Calif.)
- Intercollegiate Conference Athletic Association.
- Olympic Club (San Francisco, Calif.)
- Pacific Coast Rugby Referees Union.
- Stanford University > Sports.
- University of California, Berkeley > Sports.
- University of Southern California > Sports.
- College sports > United States.
- Rugby football.
- Earliest date
- Latest date
- The Board of Control was established by the Stanford University Board of Trustees in 1905. It assumed the functions previously held by the Athletic Committee of the Associated Students and the Training House Corporation. Scheduling and financial management of athletic team events was handled by the Graduate Manager of Athletics, who reported to the Board of Control. It functioned until 1917, when the Board of Athletic Control was established.
- Administrative transfer, 1965.