American theater : card file, 1752-1990
- Physical description
- 92 drawers (ca. 100,000 cards)
- Stark, Samuel.
- Biographical data and references on people and events associated with American theater.
- Earliest date
- Latest date
- Related collections: M611, Roger Imhof scrapbooks; M209, Cole Parter papers, 1943-1971.
- Expert on American theater, the "Stark Index" was Stark's means of amassing data from all sources. Some references on the file cards refer to publications including journals and news articles, some refer to specific scrapbooks that Stark, himself, assembled and then gave to the library. The original goal of the file was to compile an encyclopedia of American theater; in the end the maintenance and building of the file became an end in itself.
- Gift of Samuel Stark, 1964, and the addendum in 1992, a gift of his estate.
- Related Work
- Stark index.