Gibbon family papers, 1519-1813
- Physical description
- 1 linear foot
At the library
Finding aidOnline Archive of California
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
- Gibbon family.
- Finding aid
- Finding aid available online
- 2 letters of Edward Gibbon, 1775, to the first Lady Sheffield (as Mrs. Holroyd); 2 letters by Hester Gibbon to Lord Sheffield, one referring to her nephew, the historian, 1786; One letter from Francis North to his sister Anne (later Countess of Sheffield) giving an irreverent description of Gibbon at a party at Lausanne, 1791. Also included are letters by W. Charriere de Severy, 1796-1820, Jean David Levade, announcing the death of Mme. Catherine Charriere de Severy, 1796, and letters to Gibbon senior (36), together with Gibbon senior's household accounts and legal documents (ca. 200 items), 1693-1744.
- Gibbon, Edward, 1737-1794.
- Gibbons family.
- Levade, Jean David.
- North, Francis, 1761-1817.
- Seigneux, G. H. de.
- Severy, Catherine Charriere de.
- Severy, W. Charriere de.
- Sheffield, John Holroyd, Earl of, 1735-1821.
- English literature > 18th century.
- Earliest date
- Latest date
- Box 3, currently oversize material that requires conservation work to flatten, has four folded documents, that require special care in viewing. They are cataloged individually but can be paged together as "box 3."
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 36 hours in advance of intended use.
- Also available on microfilm.
- Gift of W. B. Carnochan, 1981.
- Cumulative index or finding aid
- Finding aid available in Special Collections Reading Room and online.