De civitate Dei. Book VIII, ch. 2-6 : manuscript fragment
- Latin. In Latin, Caroline minuscule script.
- [Italy, circa 1100]
- Physical description
- 1 bifolium, 28 cm.
- Augustine, Saint, Bishop of Hippo.
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- The bifolium was used in a binding. Originally from the center of a quire, the text runs continuously on all four pages.
- Reported to: Bibliothèque Nationale pre-1600 mamuscript census.
- Purchased, 1985.
- Early Christian philosopher, 354-430. A converted Manichean, he came to exercise enormous influence throughout the Christian world. His most famous works include De Civitate Dei (The City of God) and his autobiography, Confessiones.