William Gardiner transportation collection, 1869-1951
- Physical description
- 6 linear feet (9 boxes, one map folder)
Also available at
At the library
Finding aidOnline Archive of California
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|M0326 BOX 1||In-library use|
|M0326 BOX 2||In-library use|
|M0326 BOX 3||In-library use|
|M0326 BOX 4||In-library use|
|M0326 BOX 7||In-library use|
|M0326 BOX 8||In-library use|
|M0326 BOX 9||In-library use|
|M0326 CARTON 5||In-library use|
|M0326 HALF BOX 6||In-library use|
|M0326 MAP FOLDER 10||In-library use|
- Gardiner, William Everard, 1869-1949, collector.
- Finding aid
- Finding aid available online
- Collection of photographs and research material concerning railroads, street cars and other public transportation in and around Oakland and Berkeley, California from historian, collector and local railway employee William Everard Gardiner (1869-1949). Gardiner worked for the San Francisco-Oakland Terminal Railways and later the Key System (which took over the SF-O Terminal Railways in 1924). He was Instructor and Superintendent of Schedules through at least 1928. Gardiner was an early member of the Pacific Railway Club and Railway and Locomotive Historical Society. He was also a photographer, and the collection contains negatives and prints made by him, along with reproductions of older images. Some of the photographs by Gardiner document the 1906 earthquake’s effects in Berkeley. There is also information on the general history of Alameda County. The collection contains photographs, manuscripts & typescripts on history (some transcribed), correspondence, newspaper & magazine clippings (primarily 1920s Oakland Tribune articles), ephemera including many examples of train tickets, scrapbooks, and other material.
- Gardiner, William Everard, 1869-1949.
- Key System Transit Lines (Calif.)
- Oakland Railroad Company.
- San Francisco-Oakland Terminal Railways.
- Locomotives > Photographs.
- Railroads > California > History.
- Street-railroads > California > Oakland.
- Oakland (Calif.) > History.
- Local subject
- Hopkins Transportation Library.
- Earliest date
- Latest date
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 36 hours in advance of intended use.
- Transferred from the Hopkins Transportation Collection.
Browse related items
Start at call number: