The embodied image : Chinese calligraphy from the John B. Elliott Collection
- Harrist, Robert E.
- Princeton, N.J. : Art Museum, Princeton University in association with Harry N. Abrams, c1999.
- Physical description
- xx, 449 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 32 cm.
ND1457 .C52 P75 1999 F
- Unknown ND1457 .C52 P75 1999 F
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 401-411) and index.
- Introductory essays. Reading Chinese calligraphy / Robert E. Harrist, Jr. Chinese calligraphy : theory and history / Wen C. Fong
- Essays. Texts of Taoism and Buddhism and the power of calligraphic style / Amy McNair. A letter from Wang Hsi-chih and the culture of Chinese calligraphy / Robert E. Harrist, Jr. Opposite paths to originality : Huang T'ing-chien and Mi Fu / Jay Xu. The two perfections : reading poetry and calligraphy / Robert E. Harrist, Jr. A quest for the imperishable : Chao Meng-fu's calligraphy for stele inscriptions / Zhixin Sun. Ming Dynasty Soochow and the golden age of literati culture / Chuan-hsing Ho. The aesthetics of the unusual and the strange in seventeenth-century calligraphy / Dora C.Y. Ching. Calligraphic couplets as manifestations of deities and markers of buildings / Cary Y. Liu. Chinese letters : private words made public / Qianshen Bai.
- Publication date
- Robert E. Harrist, Jr., Wen C. Fong ; with contributions by Qianshen Bai ... [et al.].
- Title Variation
- Chinese calligraphy from the John B. Elliott Collection
- Catalog of an exhibition: Art Museum, Princeton University, Mar. 27, 1999-June 27, 1999; Seattle Art Museum, Feb. 10-May 7, 2000; Metropolitan Museum of Art, Sept. 15, 2000-Jan. 7, 2001.
- 0810963779 (cloth)
- 0943012287 (pbk)
- 9780810963771 (cloth)
- 9780943012285 (pbk)