The ideal problem solver : a guide for improving thinking, learning, and creativity
- John D. Bransford, Barry S. Stein.
- 2nd ed.
- New York : W.H. Freeman, c1993.
- Physical description
- xiii, 262 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- CHAPTER I THE IMPORTANCE OF PROBLEM SOLVING: New Views about Thinking and Problem Solving-- Some Common Approaches to Problems-- Menmi Escapes-- The Purpose and Structure of This Book-- PART I A FRAMEWORK FOR USING KNOWLEDGE MORE EFFECTIVELY: CHAPTER 2 A MODEL FOR IMPROVING PROBLEM-SOLVING SKILLS: The IDEAL Approach to Problem Solving-- Failure to Identify the Possibility of Future Problems-- The Importance of Conceptual Inventions-- The Importance of Systematic Analysis-- The Importance of Using External Representations-- Some Additional General Strategies-- The Importance of Specialized Concepts and Strategies-- The Importance of Acting on Strategies to Evaluate Outcomes-- The IDEAL Cycle-- Blocks to Creative Problem Solving-- CHAPTER 3 CREATIVITY AND THE IDEAL FRAMEWORK: Identify Problems and Opportunities-- Define Alternative Goals-- Explore Possible Strategies-- Anticipate and Act-- Look and Learn-- The IDEAL Cycle and Creativity-- CHAPTER 4 INTELLIGENT CRITICISM: The Importance of Evaluating Arguments-- Three Ways of Critically Evaluating Arguments-- The Analysis of Factual Claims-- Evaluating the Reasoning of Arguments-- The Analysis of Key Assumptions-- CHAPTER 5 EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION: The Importance of Identifying Communication Problems-- Three Ways of Defining Communication Goals-- Message-- Audience-- Presentation Medium-- Evaluating the Effectiveness of Your Attempts to Communicate-- PART 2 A MODEL FOR ACQUIRING NEW KNOWLEDGE: CHAPTER 6 IMPROVING MEMORY SKILLS: Remembering as Problem Solving-- Understanding Basic Memory Processes-- Strategies for Remembering-- Adapting and Inventing Memory Strategies-- CHAPTER 7 LEARNING WITH UNDERSTANDING : Comprehension as Problem Solving-- Learning about New Areas of Knowledge-- Anticipating Outcomes and Acting on Comprehension-- Strategies-- Looking at the Effects and Learning to Learn-- The IDEAL Cycle and Lifelong Learning-- CHAPTER 8 INSTRUCTION THAT FACILITATES PROBLEM SOLVING: Why Problem Solving Needs to Be an Integral Part of Education-- Problems with Traditional Approaches to Instruction-- Organizing Learning Around Problem Solving-- General Issues Related to Problem-Based Learning-- The Importance of Opportunities for Assessment-- CHAPTER 9 CONCLUDING REMARKS: The Development of Problem-Solving Skills-- Attitudes-- Notes. APPENDIX A ANSWERS TO PROBLEMS IN TEXT. APPENDIX B ANSWERS TOEXERCISES. APPENDIX C IDEAL PROBLEM NAVIGATION GUIDE.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780716722052 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Provocative, challenging, and fun, The Ideal Problem Solver offers a sound, methodical approach for resolving problems based on the IDEAL (Identify, Define, Explore, Act, Look) model. The authors suggest new strategies for enhancing creativity, improving memory, criticizing ideas and generating alternatives, and communicating more effectively with a wider range of people. Using the results of laboratory research previously available only in a piece-meal fashion or in scientific journals, Bransford and Stein discuss such issues as Teaming new information, overcoming blocks to creativity, and viewing problems from a variety of perspectives. The Second Edition features: A new organization that focuses, in Part I, on the effective utilization of current knowledge and, in Part 11, on the explanation and use of the Ideal model. A refined problem solving model that is easier to understand and apply. A new chapter that explores strategies for improving how schools and organizations can prepare people to think and solve problems. New illustrative examples and exercises that encourage students to develop effective strategies for solving problems.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780716722052 20160528
- Publication date
- 0716722046 (cloth)
- 0716722054 (pbk.)
- 9780716722045 (cloth)
- 9780716722052 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: