Shapes of forms : from gestalt psychology and phenomenology to ontology and mathematics
- edited by Liliana Albertazzi.
- Dordrecht ; Boston : Kluwer Academic, c1999.
- Physical description
- vi, 370 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Synthese library v. 275.
- Albertazzi, Liliana.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Form aesthetics-- experimental phenomenology - a historical profile, P. Bozzi-- what is form? contributions of psychology to an old epistemological problem, A. Zimmer-- forms and events, G.B. Vicario-- towards a field theory of figural form, M. Stadler, et al-- on Pragnanz, R. Luccio-- formal characteristics in verbal description and spatial representation, M. Massironi, M.C. Levorato-- forms in algebras, and their interpretations - some historical and philosophical features, I. Grattan-Guinness-- an essay on the notion of schema, A. Peruzzi-- qua-theories, R. Poli-- form metaphysics, L. Albertazzi-- ontological categories, J. Sowa-- on forms of objects, J. Jadacki.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780792352464 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The development of research connected with artificial intelligence and the cognitive sciences obliges us to confront further components of the traditional problem of form. In particular, the debate about bottom up and top down processes seems to suggest that the difference in cognitive processes is more a difference of degree than of kind internally to a form, i.e. a structure, consisting of different layers. Even if there is no single or fundamental theory of forms, in this volume the concept of form is analyzed in different fields (ranging from ontology to language, mathematics, and psychology, and in its different aspects according to a more modern theory of knowledge.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780792352464 20160528
- Publication date
- Synthese library ; v. 275
- 0792352467 (hb : alk. paper)
- 9780792352464 (hb : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: