- with an English translation by J.C. Rolfe ; introduction by K.R. Bradley.
- English, Latin. Text in Latin, with English translations on facing pages; introductions and notes in English.
- Revised, with new introduction.
- Cambridge, Massaschsetts ; London, England : Harvard University Press, 1998.
- Physical description
- 2 volumes (507; 548 pages) : genealogical table ; 17 cm.
- Loeb classical library 31, 38.
At the library
- Includes bibliographical references (volume 1, pages 30-34) and index.
- v. 1. Lives of the Caesars, book I-IV
- v. 2. Lives of the Caesars, book V-VIII ; Lives of illustrious men. Grammarians and rhetoricians ; Poets.
Suetonius (C. Suetonius Tranquillus, born ca. 70 CE), son of a military tribune, was at first an advocate and a teacher of rhetoric, but later became the emperor Hadrian's private secretary, 119121. He dedicated to C. Septicius Clarus, prefect of the praetorian guard, his "Lives of the Caesars." After the dismissal of both men for some breach of court etiquette, Suetonius apparently retired and probably continued his writing. His other works, many known by title, are now lost except for part of the "Lives of Illustrious Men" (of letters). Friend of Pliny the Younger, Suetonius was a studious and careful collector of facts, so that the extant lives of the emperors (including Julius Caesar the dictator) to Domitian are invaluable. His plan in "Lives of the Caesars" is: the emperor's family and early years; public and private life; death. We find many anecdotes, much gossip of the imperial court, and various details of character and personal appearance. Suetonius's account of Nero's death is justly famous. The Loeb Classical Library edition of Suetonius is in two volumes. Both volumes were revised throughout in 1997-98, and a new Introduction added.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Included Work
- Suetonius, approximately 69-approximately 122. De vita Caesarum Latin. (Loeb classical library)
- Suetonius, approximately 69-approximately 122. De vita Caesarum. English (Rolfe)
- Suetonius, approximately 69-approximately 122. De grammaticis et rhetoribus. Latin. (Loeb classical library)
- Suetonius, approximately 69-approximately 122. De grammaticis et rhetoribus. English. (Rolfe)
- Suetonius, approximately 69-approximately 122. De poetis. Latin. (Loeb classical library)
- Suetonius, approximately 69-approximately 122. De poetis. English. (Rolfe)
- Rome > History > Julio-Claudians, 30 B.C.-68 A.D. > Biography.
- Rome > History > Flavians, 69-96 > Biography.
- Emperors > Rome > Biography > Early works to 1800.
- Authors, Latin > Biography > Early works to 1800.
- Poets, Latin > Biography > Early works to 1800.
- Authors, Latin.
- Poets, Latin.
- Rome (Empire)
- Publication date
- Loeb classical library ; 31, 38
- Also issued online.
- 0674995708 (v. 1)
- 9780674995703 (v. 1)
- 0674995651 (v. 2)
- 9780674995659 (v. 2)
Browse related items
Start at call number: