Quantities, symbols, units, and abbreviations in the life sciences : a guide for authors and editors
- compiled by Arnošt Kotyk.
- Totowa, N.J. : Humana Press, c1999.
- Physical description
- xv, 130 p. ; 23 cm.
- Kotyk, Arnošt.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. xiii-x).
- Mathematics. Dimensionless Quantities. Arabic and Roman Numerals. Statistics. Greek Alphabet. Physics. Base Units. Space and Time. Classical Mechanics. Electricity and Magnetism. Radiation. Some Useful Physical and Mathematical Constants. Units of Logarithmic quantities. Chemistry and Biology. Right Subscripts. Left Subscripts. Right Superscripts. Left Superscripts. General Chemistry. Aggregation States. Chemical Elements. Physical Chemistry. Organic and Structural Chemistry. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Amino Acids. Sugars and Derivatives. Nucleic Acids Their Components and Derivatives. Plant Lectins. Vitamins. Miscellaneous Abbreviations in Biochemistry. Miscellaneous Abbreviations in Molecular Biology. Methods and Techniques in Biochemistry and Biophysics. Reagents and Technical Terms Related to Methods. Buffers. Enzyme Kinetics. Restriction Endonucleases. Cell Biology. Genetics. Chromosomes. Genes and Their Expression Products: Prokaryotes-- Eukaryotic Microorganisms-- Plants-- Animals. Taxonomy. Suffixes for Taxonomical Categories. Virology. Microbiology. Plant Physiology. Animal Physiology. Pharmacology. Immunology. Medicine. General. Diseases. Syndromes. Techniques. Soil Biology. Soil Phases. Soil Moisture Regime. Soil Temperature Regime. Vegetation. Soil Color. Soil Texture. Human-introduced Crops. Master Soil Horizons. Paleontology. Psychology. Units Uniquely Used. Acronyms for Tests Examinations etc. Acronyms for Terms. Notes on Abbreviations in General Use in Scientific Writing.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- "Quantities, Symbols, Units, and Abbreviations in the Life Sciences" is a reliable compilation of the most up-to-date recommendations for using units, symbols, abbreviations, and acronyms in scientific publications across the biological sciences. Drawing on the authority of the various nomenclature committees of the many international societies in the biosciences, as well as on the editors of prestigious scientific journals, and on eminent individuals active in scientific publishing, this essential reference provides authors and editors with easy access to the authoritative usage of the universally accepted terms they need for clear scientific communication. The compiled symbols, units, and abbreviations are defined, with commentary and some etymological background frequently provided. The diverse scope of disciplines treated includes biochemistry, molecular biology, medicine, genetics, immunology, and virology, plus appropriate sections on mathematics, physics, and chemistry.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 0896036499 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- 0896036162 (acid-free paper)
- 9780896036499 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- 9780896036161 (acid-free paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: