- edited by David Shambaugh.
- Oxford : Clarendon Press ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Physical description
- ix, 329 p. : maps ; 24 cm.
- Studies on contemporary China (Oxford, England)
- Shambaugh, David L.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Exploring the complexities of contemporary Taiwan / David Shambaugh
- The enduring influence of the Republic of China on Taiwan today / Ralph N. Clough
- A new Chinese civilization : the evolution of the Republic of China on Taiwan / Ramon H. Myers
- Taiwan society at the 'Fin de Siècle / Thomas B. Gold
- Cultural identity and the politics of recognition in contemporary Taiwan / Tu Weiming
- Building democracy in Taiwan / Hung-Mao Tien and Yun-Han Chu
- The Taiwan economy : the transition to maturity and the political economy of its changing international status / Christopher Howe
- Charting Taiwan's technological future : the impact of globalization and regionalization / Denis Fred Simon
- Taiwan's environment today / Richard Louis Edmonds
- Taiwan's mainland policy : normalization, yes ; reunification, later / Jean-Pierre Cabestan
- Taiwan's security : maintaining deterrence amid political accountability / David Shambaugh
- The international standing of the Republic of China on Taiwan / Michael Yahuda
- America in Taiwan's post Cold War foreign relations / Thomas W. Robinson.
Contemporary Taiwan is the most comprehensive and up-to-date study of the dynamic island republic available. Drawing on a broad range of documentary sources and on-site research, many of the world's leading specialists on Taiwanese affairs provide in-depth and expert analysis. This unique volume covers many aspects of Taiwan on the eve of the twenty-first century: the transition to and institutionalization of democracy; the domestic economy and foreign trade; social and cultural developments; science and technology; the environment; foreign relations and international status; relations with China; the history of the Republic of China; and Taiwan's modernization in comparative perspective.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Studies on contemporary China
- "Clarendon paperbacks."
- "The contributions to this volume were first presented at the conference "Taiwan Today", convened by The China Quarterly in Taipei in November 1995, and subsequently was published as a Special Issue in December 1996"--P. 2.
Browse related items
Start at call number: