South Africa in Southern Africa : reconfiguring the region
- edited by David Simon.
- Oxford : J. Currey ; Athens, Ohio : Ohio University Press, 1998.
- Physical description
- 259 p. : ill., maps ; 25 cm.
- Simon, David, 1957-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- In the wake of war : military transitions in southern Africa / Susan Willett
- Small arms proliferation : a major challenge for post-apartheid South and southern Africa / Alex Vines
- "Nature has the power to heal old wounds" : war, peace, and changing patterns of conservation in southern Africa / Eddie Koch
- South Africa's foreign policy : from isolation to respectability? / Greg Mills
- Lessons unlearned : South Africa's one-way relationship with Zimbabwe / Colin Stoneman
- Desert enclave to regional gateway? Walvis Bay's reintegration into Namibia / David Simon
- Changing role of sugar as a vehicle for economic development within southern Africa / Steve Atkins and Alan Terry
- Powering the region : South Africa and the southern African power pool / Tore Horvei
- SADC, COMESA, SACU : contradictory formats for regional integration in southern Africa? / James Sidaway and Richard Gibb
- Obscuring history? contemporary patterns of regional migration to South Africa / Sally Peberdy
- Gender, labour markets and female migration / Kavita Datta
- Sexual and economic politics of (re)integration : HIV-AIDS and the question of stability in southern Africa / Douglas Webb
- Reflections : writing (on) the region / David Simon.
- Publisher's Summary
- Crucial to an understanding of regional dynamics in southern Africa is the enormous asymmetry between South Africa, the demographic, economic and political core, and the other states, which themselves are remarkably heterogeneous. The difficulty, even at the level of intergovernmental relations, is how to ensure mutual benefit through enhanced interaction without suffering the strong polarization of investment and migration which undermined earlier efforts at formal regional co-operation elsewhere. This collection evaluates the situation and the ongoing processes of negotiation and transition, both for the inherent interest of what is happening within southern Africa but also in order to distil conceptual and theoretical insights which may be of wider significance.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780852554128 20160528
- Africa, Southern > Relations > South Africa.
- South Africa > Relations > Africa, Southern.
- Africa, Southern > Economic conditions.
- Africa, Southern > Economic integration.
- Africa, Southern > Emigration and immigration.
- Africa, Southern > Politics and government > 1994-
- Africa, Southern > Politics and government > 1975-1994.
- South Africa > Foreign economic relations > Africa, Southern.
- Africa, Southern > Foreign economic relations > South Africa.
- Regionale integratie.
- Publication date
- 0852554125 (cloth : J. Currey)
- 9780852554128 (cloth : J. Currey)
- 0852554117 (paper : J. Currey)
- 9780852554111 (paper : J. Currey)
- 0821412639 (cloth : Ohio Univ. Press)
- 9780821412633 (cloth : Ohio Univ. Press)
- 0821412647 (paper : Ohio Univ. Press)
- 9780821412640 (paper : Ohio Univ. Press)
Browse related items
Start at call number: