Keyboard instruments in eighteenth-century Vienna
- Richard Maunder.
- Oxford : Clarendon Press ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Physical description
- xi, 266 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
|ML549 .M38 1998||Unknown|
- Maunder, C. R. F.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -257) and index.
- Preface-- A note on Eighteenth-Century Viennese measures, currency, and addresses-- 1. Introduction-- 2. Terminology-- 3. Viennese Keyboard-Instrument Makers-- 4. Harpsichords, Spinets, and Clavichords-- 5. Fortepianos-- 6. Music and Instruments before 1770-- 7. Music and Instruments 1770-1800-- 8. Owners, Dealers, and Prices-- Appendix 1. Advertisements for Keyboard Instruments 1721-1800-- Appendix 2. Viennese Keyboard-Instrument Makers 1700-1800-- Appendix 3. Owners and Sellers 1700-1800-- Appendix 4. Advertisements for Keyboard Music 1725-84-- Bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780198166375 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Although eighteenth-century Viennese keyboard music, especially by such composers as Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven, is among the most popular ever written, there has been surprisingly little serious research into the instruments for which it was composed. Consequently myths and guesses abound, while accurate and reliable information is hard to come by. This book fills that gap. Based on evidence from primary source material, much of it previously undiscovered or neglected, Maunder traces the history and development of the various keyboard instruments available in Vienna throughout the eighteenth century-harpsichords, clavichords, and pianos-and their use by composers and performers. There are detailed descriptions of many surviving Viennese instruments, several of which have only recently come to light; contemporary newspaper advertisements for over 1200 keyboard instruments are reproduced, in the original German as well as in English translation; and an alphabetical list of eighteenth-century Viennese makers includes much newly-discovered biographical information as well as some previously unknown names.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780198166375 20160528
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Keyboard instruments in 18th-century Vienna
Browse related items
Start at call number: