Wittgenstein : meaning and mind
- P. M. S. Hacker.
- Oxford : Blackwell, 1997.
- Physical description
- 575 p.
- Baker, Gordon P. Analytical commentary on the Philosophical investigations ; v. 3.
At the library
Philosophy Library (Tanner)
|B3376 .W563 P5323 1993||Unknown|
- Hacker, P. M. S. (Peter Michael Stephan)
- Acknowledgements. Preface. Abbreviations. Analytical Commentary. Part I: The Private Language (SS 243-315): Introduction. The Private Language Arguments. Privacy. Private Ostensive Definition. Men, Minds and Machines. Avowals and Descriptions. Behaviour and Behaviouralism. The Inner and the outer. Part II: Thought (SS 316-62): Introduction. Thinking: methodological muddles and categorial confusions. Thinking: the soul of language. Part III: Imagination (SS 363-97): . Introduction. Images and Imagination. Part IV: The Self and Self-Reference (SS 398-411): Introduction. I and my self. Part V: Consciousness (SS 411-27): Introduction. The World of Consciousness. Criteria. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This third volume of the monumental commentary on Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations covers sections 243-427, which constitute the heart of the book. Like the previous volumes, it consists of philosophical essays and exegesis. The thirteen essays cover all the major themes of this part of Wittgenstein's masterpiece: the private language arguments, privacy, avowals and descriptions, private ostensive definition, criteria, minds and machines, behavior and behaviorism, the self, the inner and the outer, thinking, consciounesss, and the imagination. The exegesis clarifies and evaluates Wittgenstein's arguments, drawing extensively on all the unpublished papers, examining the evolution of his ideas in manuscript sources and definitively settling many controversies about the interpretation of the published text. This commentary, like its predecessors, is indispensable for the study of Wittgenstein and is essential reading for students of the philosophy of mind.A fourth and final volume, entitled Wittgenstein: Mind and Will will complete the commentary.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Reprint/reissue date
- Original date
- An analytical commentary on the philosophical investigations : v. 3
Browse related items
Start at call number: