Natives and academics : researching and writing about American Indians
- edited by Devon A. Mihesuah.
- Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press, c1998.
- Physical description
- xi, 212 p. ; 21 cm.
- Mihesuah, Devon A. (Devon Abbott), 1957-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- All too frequently, Native Americans have little control over how they and their ancestors are researched and depicted in scholarly writings. The relationship between Native peoples and the academic community has become especially rocky in recent years. Both groups are grappling with troubling questions about research ethics, methodology, and theory in the field and in the classroom. In this timely and illuminating anthology, ten leading Native scholars examine the state of scholarly research and writing on Native Americans.They offer distinctive, frequently self-critical perspectives on several important issues: the representativeness of Native informants, the merits of various methods of data collection, the veracity and role of oral histories, the suitability of certain genres of scholarly writing for the study of Native Americans, the marketing of Native culture and history, and debates about cultural essentialism. Some contributors propose alternative forms of scholarship. Special attention is also given to the experiences, responsibilities, and challenges facing Native academics themselves.With lively prose and telling arguments, Natives and Academics lends clarity to the heated debate about the purpose and direction of Native American scholarship. Devon A. Mihesuah is an associate professor of history at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff. She is the author of "Cultivating the Rosebuds: The Education of Women at the Cherokee Female Seminary" and "American Indians: Stereotypes and Realities".
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780803282438 20160528
- Publication date
- "The basis for this anthology is the winter 1996 publication of the American Indian quarterly's special issue, Writing about American Indians."--Pref.
- Related Work
- American Indian quarterly.
- 0803282435 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780803282438 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: