Women writers in German-speaking countries : a bio-bibliographical critical sourcebook
- edited by Elke P. Frederiksen and Elizabeth G. Ametsbichler.
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 1998.
- Physical description
- xxxiii, 561 p. ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -517) and indexes.
- Introduction - A Multiplicty of Voices-- Ilse Aichinger (Austria), Dagmar Lorenz-- Lou Andreas-Salome (Germany/Russia), Friederike Eigler-- Mathilde Franziska Anneke (Germany/USA), Maria Wagner-- Bettina Brentano-von Arnim (Germany), Elke Frederiksen-- Louise Aston (Germany), Uta Pererson-- Rose Auslander (Austria-Hungary/Germany), Kathrin Bower-- Ingeborg Bachmann (Austria), Sara Lennox-- Hildegard von Bingen (Germany), Jan S. Emerson-- Charlotte Birch-Pfeiffer (Germany), Renee Pritchett-- Hedwig Dohm (Germany), Ruth-Ellen B. Joeres-- Hilde Domin (Germany), Monika Fischer-- Ingeborg Drewitz (Germany), Margaret E. Ward-- Annette von Droste-Hulshoff (Germany), Gertud Bauer Pickar-- Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach (Austria), Ferrel Rose and Linda Kraus Worl-- Marieluise Fleisser (Germany), Susan L. Cocalis-- Barbara Frischmuth (Austria), Jacqueline Vansant-- Hrotsvit von Gandersheim (Germany), Gabriele L. Strauch and Kathleen N-- Luise Gottsched (Germany), Susanne Kord-- Catharina Regina von Grieffenberg (Austria/Germany), Ute Brander-- Karoline von Gunderrode (Germany), Karin Obermeier-- Ida Hahn-Hahn (Germany), Helga W. Kraft-- Elfriede Jelinek (Austria), Vera Boiter-- Anna Louisa Karsch (Germany), Julie D. Prandi-- Marie Luise Kaschnitz (Germany), Ruth-Ellen B. Joeres-- Marie Therese Kerschbaumer (Austria), Dagmar C.G. Lorenz-- Irmgard Keun (Germany), Ritta Jo Horsley-- Sarah Kirsch (Germany), Barbara Mabee-- Gertrud Kolmar (Germany), Monika Shafi-- Helga Konigsdorf (Germany), Marilyn Sibley Fries-- Elisabeth Langgasser (Germany), Erika Alma Metzger-- Sophie von La Roche (Germany), Barbara Becker-Cantarino-- Else Lasker-Schuler (Germany/Israel), Elizabeth Ametsbichler-- Fanny Lewald (Germany), Margaret E. Ward-- Mechtild von Magdeburg (Germany), Gabriele L. Strauch-- Monika Maron (Germany), Frauke Elisabeth Lenckos-- Sophie Mereau (Germany), Hiltrud Arens-- Irmtraud Morgner (Germany), Hildegard Pietsch-- Louise Otto-Peters (Germany), Ruth-Ellen B. Joeres-- Erica Pedretti (Moravia/Switzerland), Patricia Anne Simpson-- Christa Reinig (Germany), Mona Knapp-- Gerlind Reinshagen (Germany), Andreas Ryschka-- Gabriele Reuter (Germany), Linda Kraus Worley-- Luise Rinser (Germany), Elke Frederiksen-- Nelly Sachs (Germany/Sweden), Ruth Dinesen-- Dorothea Schlegel (Germany), Lorely French-- Caroline Schlegel-Schelling (Germany), Sara Friedrichsmeyer-- Johanna Schopenhauer (Germany), Katherine R. Goodman-- Anna Maria van Shurman (Germany/The Netherlands), Ute Brandes-- Anna Seghers (Germany), Gertrud Gutzmann-- Verena Stefan (Switzerland/Germany), Jeanette Clausen-- Rahel Levin Varnhagen (Germany), Heidi Thomann Tewarson-- Gabriele Wohmann (Germany), Martha Hanscom-- Christa Wolf (Germany), Karen H. Jankowsky-- A Bibliography of Bibliographies and General Criticism-- Appendix - List of Authors by Date.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313282010 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Women have contributed to the literature of German-speaking countries since the Middle Ages, and they continue to write important works at the close of the 20th-century. While research on texts by women writers in German-speaking countries has increased substantially, most of these authors remain virtually unknown to English-speaking scholars and students. This reference book contains alphabetically arranged entries for 54 Austrian, German and Swiss women writers - such as Louise Aston, Hrotsvit von Gandersheim, Elfriede Jelinek and Erica Pedretti - from the 10th-century to the present day. Each entry includes a biography, a discussion of major themes, a survey of criticism, and a bibliography of primary and secondary sources. An introductory essay overviews the history of literature by women in German-speaking countries, and an extensive bibliography concludes the volume.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313282010 20160528
- Publication date
- 0313282013 (alk. paper)
- 9780313282010 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: