The testimony of lives : narrative and memory in post-Soviet Latvia
- Vieda Skultans.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 1998.
- Physical description
- xxi, 217 p. : ill., map ; 24 cm.
- Skultans, Vieda.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -211) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Vieda Skultans left Latvia as a refugee at the age of six months. In 1990, she returned for the first time. This text is both a personal account of a homecoming and an anthropology of a people trying to come to terms with its past and to face an uncertain future. Based on more than 100 interviews carried out in the wake of Latvian independence, it gives voice to stories of dispossession and exile and of ambiguous returns. At the same time it unpicks the process of memory itself, showing how personal memory is shaped by the traditional narratives of national history and culture.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415162906 20160527
- Publication date
- 0415162890 (hc : alk. paper)
- 0415162904 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415162890 (hc : alk. paper)
- 9780415162906 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: