Carousel of American music [sound recording] : the fabled 24 September 1940 San Francisco concerts
- Berkeley, CA : Music & Arts Programs of America, p1997.
- Physical description
- 4 sound discs (4 hrs., 32 min.) : digital ; 4 3/4 in.
- CD 1. When Johnny comes marching home / Roy Harris ; conducted by Howard Hanson (6:22). Caponsacchi / Richard Hageman ; conducted by Mr. Hageman (10:25). Dark dancers of the Mardi Gras / Charles Wakfield Cadman ; Mr. Cadman, soloist ; conducted by Edwin McArthur (10:33). Entrance of the carriers from "La Guibalesse" (1:34) ; G minor symphony "Song of a new race" (14:11) / William Grant Still ; conducted by Mr. Still. Circus day / Deems Taylor ; conducted by Edwin McArthur (22:49)
- CD 2. Gene Buck intermission talk (12:33). Stars & stripes forever / John Philip Sousa ; conducted by Howard Hanson (3:33). Intro : tribute to our founder, Victor Herbert (1:20): Gypsy love song (2:37) ; Kiss me again (1:23) ; March of the toys (3:25) / Herbert/Smith, Herbert/Blossom, Herbert/MacDonough ; conducted by Eugene Hayes. Smiles / Lee Roberts, J. Will Callahan ; conducted by Mr. Roberts (2:15). Love in bloom / Leo Robin, Ralph Rainger ; sung by Mr. Robin ; Mr. Rainger at the piano (3:36). Take me out to the ball game / Albert Von Tilzer, Jack Norworth ; Mr. Von Tilzer at the piano (2:05). The last round-up / Billy Hill ; Mr. Hill at the piano (2:28). Some of these days / Shelton Brooks ; Mr. Brooks at the piano (2:28). Over the rainbow / Harold Arlen, E.Y. Harburg ; Mr. Arlen at the piano ; sung by Judy Garland (3:23). My melancholy baby / Ernie Burnett, G.A. Norton ; Mr. Burnett at the piano (2:17). Waiting for the Robert E. Lee / Louis Muir, L. Wolfe Gilbert ; sung by Mr. Gilbert (1:51). Three little words / Burt Kalmar, Harry Ruby ; sung by Mr. Kalmar and Mr. Ruby (1:53). My blue heaven / Walter Donaldson, G. Whiting ; Mr. Donaldson at the piano (1:12). My buddy / Walter Donaldson, Gus Kahn ; Mr. Donaldson at the piano (1:30). The end of a perfect day / Carrie Jacobs-Bond ; Miss Bond at the piano ; sung by Allan Linquist (2:41). The flying flag : (premiere performance) / Carrie Jacobs-Bond ; sung by Allan Linquist (2:17)
- CD 3. Who's afraid of the big bad wolf / Ann Ronell, Frank E. Churchill ; Miss Ronell at the piano (2:32). Singing in the rain / Arthur Freed, Nacia Herb Brown ; Mr. Freed at the piano (1:58). You made me love you / James Monaco, Joseph McCarthy ; Mr. Monaco at the piano (1:33). Six lessons from Madame La Zonga / James Monaco ; Mr. Monaco at the piano (1:22). I wonder who's kissing her now / Joseph Howard, Frank R. Adams, Will Hough ; sung by Mr. Howard (2:32). Good-bye my lady love / Joseph Howard ; sung by Mr. Howard (2:06). Smoke gets in your eyes / Jerome Kern, Otto Harach ; Mr. Kern at the piano (1:37). All the the things you are (2:57) ; All the things you are : reprise (2:30) / Jerome Kern, Oscar Hammerstein II ; Mr. Kern at the piano ; sung by Tony Martin. Sweet Adeline / Harry Armstong, Richard Gerard ; sung by Mr. Armstrong (3:31). Lover come back to me / Sigmund Romberg, Oscar Hammerstein II ; Mr. Romberg at the piano (2:24). Will you remember (2:14) ; One alone (1:44) / Sigmund Romberg ; Mr. Romberg at the piano. George Buck intro of Tribute to the late George Gershwin (4:07). Summertime / George Gershwin, DuBose Heyward ; Edwin McArthur conducting the orchestra (3:40). I got rhythm / George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin ; Edwin McArthur conducting the orchestra (2:00). Jeepers creepers / Harry Warren, Johnny Mercer ; Mr. Warren at the piano ; sung by Mr. Mercer (1:57). I can't give you anything but love / James McHugh, Dorothy Fields ; Mr. McHugh at the piano (2:29). Stardust / Hoagy Carmichael, Mitchell Parish ; Mr. Carmichael at the piano (2:37). Little old lady / Hoagy Carmichael ; Mr. Carmichael at the piano (1:36)
- CD 4. Deep purple / Peter DeRose, Mitchell Parish ; Mr. DeRose at the piano (2:04). Medley of Mr. Rose's songs: When your hair has turned to silver ; Have you ever been lonely? ; Somebody loves you (3:22). Mark Gordon medley (3:23) / sung by Mr. Gordon. Chinatown my Chinatown / Jean Schwartz, William Jerome ; Mr. Schwartz at the piano (2:43). St. Louis blues / W.C. Handy ; Mr. Handy, cornet solo (3:16). Intro / John Charles Thomas, soloist ; Eugene Heyes conducting (4:51). Home on the range / David Guion (4:00). Mighty lak' a rose / Ethelbert Nevin, P.L. Stanton (2:41). Old man river / Jerome Kern, Oscar Hammerstein II ; Mr. Kern at the piano (2:59). Sally won't you come back / Gene Buck, David Stamper ; Mr. Stamper at the piano (3:29). The Lord's prayer / Albert Hay Malotte ; Mr. Malotte conducting (4:36). J.C. Thomas speaks ; Gene Buck extro (2:45). George M. Cohan medley: Give my regards to Broadway ; Yankee Doodle boy ; You're a grand old flag / composed, written and sung by Mr. Cohan (2:19). Over there / Cohan (1:28). Concluding remarks ; intro (3:20). God bless America / Irving Berlin ; sung by Mr. Berlin ; conducted by Howard Hanson (2:23). Exit (:30).
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Fabled 24 September 1940 San Francisco concerts
- Program notes inserted in container.
- Compact discs; analog recording.
- Various performers.
- Recorded Sept. 24, 1940 in 2 separate concerts at the Golden Gate International Exposition Federal Plaza on Treasure Island, San Francisco.
- Publisher Number
- CD-971 Music & Arts
Browse related items
Start at call number: