Within our gates : ethnicity in American feature films, 1911-1960
- Berkeley : University of California Press, c1997.
- Physical description
- xviii, 1571 p. ; 29 cm.
- Gevinson, Alan.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 1569-1571) and indexes.
- Publisher's Summary
- This volume contains over 2500 feature-length films with an emphasis on racial and national ethnic experience in the United States. Included are films from the 1940s and 1950s such as "Giant", "The Defiant One", "Gentleman's Agreement", "Bright Victory" and "Broken Arrow". In addition to traditional "Hollywood" films, independent productions by African-American filmmakers and various ethnic and religious organizations are also given extensive treatments. This is the first of the "AFI Catalogue Series" to include films from more than one decade. Along with the film entries are several indexes, including personal names, ethnic group, subjects, and genre. In addition, full production credits, cast, plot summaries, notes, subject headings, song titles, and bibliographic citations are provided.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Alan Gevinson, editor.
- Title Variation
- At head of title: American Film Institute catalog
- 0520209648 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780520209640 (cloth : alk. paper)