- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe ; verse translation by David Luke ; introduction by Hans Rudolf Vaget.
- Uniform Title
- Poems. Selections. English & German
- English, German. English and German.
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Physical description
- lii, 143 p. ; 19 cm.
- World's classics.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. [xlvii]-xlix) and indexes.
- Römische Elegien = Roman elegies
- Aus den Venezianischen Epigrammen = From the Venetian epigrams
- Das Tagebuch = The diary.
`a world without love would be no world' Elegy II This bilingual edition of Goethe's erotic poems contains the Roman Elegies (1789), The Diary (1810), and a selection from the Venetian Epigrams of 1790. Editorial censorship has long obscured the true form and content of the Elegies, which were inspired by Goethe's sexual liberation in Italy and his love for the woman he took as his unofficial wife on his return to Germany.They are here presented as Goethe boldly conceived them together with the long-surpressed narrative poem known as The Diary . Superficially the story of a failed sexual adventure by a man of 60, at another level this is a profound study of the psychology of desire and the nature of fidelity, as well as being one of the most beautiful and good-humoured poems in the German language. Completing the edition is a selection from Goethe's more light-hearted and much censored cycle of erotica, the Venetian Epigrams. David Luke's translations do full justice to Goethe's aim of liberating German poetry and restoring sexual love to its central position in human life. Hans Vaget's fine introduction provides the background to these poems, as well as showing some of the profound and little-known connections between them. Johann Wolfgang Goethe was born in 1749, the son of a well-to-do citizen of Frankfurt. This book is intended for german literature; Goethe; Weimar Classicism; courses on love poetry.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Erotic poetry, German.
- Publication date
- The world's classics
- Rev. ed. of: Roman elegies and The diary. 1988.
- Related Work
- Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von, 1749-1832. Römische Elegien. English & German.
- 0192832700 (alk. paper)
- 9780192832702 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: