Sir Banister Fletcher's a history of architecture
- Uniform Title
- History of architecture
- 20th ed. / edited by Dan Cruickshank ; consultant editors, Andrew Saint, Peter Blundell Jones, Kenneth Frampton ; assistant editor, Fleur Richards.
- Oxford ; Boston : Architectural Press, 1996.
- Physical description
- xxxviii, 1794 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 1671-1712) and index.
- Part 1: Background-- Prehistoric-- Egypt-- The ancient near East-- Early Asian culture-- Greece-- The hellenistic kingdoms-- Part 2: Background-- Prehistoric-- Rome and the Roman Empire-- The Byzantine Empire-- Early Russia-- Early Medieval and Romanesque-- Gothic-- Part 3: Background-- Seleucid, Parthian, Sasanian, Hellenistic-- Umayyad, Abbasid and Spain until the Fall-- Timurid, Seljuk and pre-Moghul India-- Safavid Persia, the Ottoman Empire and Moghul India-- Vernacular Building and the Paradise Garden-- Part 4: Background-- Africa-- The Americas-- China-- Japan-- South Asia-- South East Asia-- Part 5: Background-- Italy-- France, Spain and Portugal-- Austria, Germany and Central Europe-- The Low Countries and Britain-- Russia and Scandinavia-- Post Renaissance Europe-- Part 6: Background-- Africa-- The Americas-- China-- Japan-- South East Asia-- Indian Subcontinent-- Australasia-- Part 7: Background-- Western Europe 1900-45-- Western Europe 1945-95-- Eastern Europe-- Russia-- Middle East-- Africa-- N America 1900-50-- North America 1950-95-- Central and S America-- China-- Japan-- S E Asia-- Hong Kong and Macau-- Indian Subcontinent-- Oceania.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780750622677 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The 20th edition of "Sir Banister Fletcher's A History of Architecture" is the first major work of history to include an overview of the architectural achievements of the 20th Century. Banister Fletcher has been the standard one volume architectural history for over 100 years and continues to give a concise and factual account of world architecture from the earliest times. In this twentieth and centenary edition, edited by Dan Cruickshank with three consultant editors and fourteen new contributors, chapters have been recast and expanded and a third of the text is new. There are new chapters on the twentieth-century architecture of the Middle East (including Israel), South-east Asia, Hong Kong, Japan and Korea, the Indian subcontinent, Russia and the Soviet Union, Eastern Europe and Latin America. The chapter on traditional architecture of India has been rewritten and the section on traditional Chinese architecture has been expanded, both with new specially commissioned drawings. The architecture of the Americas before 1900 has been enlarged to include, for the first time, detailed coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean. The book's scope has been widened to include more architecture from outside Europe. The bibliography has been expanded into a separate section and is a key source of information on every period of world architecture. The coverage of the 20th century architecture of North America has been divided into two chapters to allow fuller coverage of contemporary works. 20th century architecture of Western Europe has been radically recast. For the first time, the architecture of the twentieth century is considered as a whole and assessed in an historical perspective. The coverage has been extended to include buildings completed during the last ten years. The coverage of Islamic architecture has been increased and re-organised to form a self contained section. This unique reference book places buildings in their social, cultural and historical settings to describe the main patterns of architectural development, from Prehistoric to the International Style. Again in the words of Sir Banister Fletcher, this book shows that "Architecture ...provides a key to the habits, thoughts and aspirations of the people, and without a knowledge of this art the history of any period lacks that human interest with which it should be invested. " This book is the winner of the International Architecture Book Award, and The American Institute of Architects Book of the Century. It is the source book for the historical development of architecture.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780750622677 20160528
- Publication date
Browse related items
Start at call number: