Film art : an introduction
- David Bordwell, Kristin Thompson.
- 5th ed.
- New York : McGraw-Hill, c1997.
- Physical description
- xiii, 496 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Film production-- film form-- film style-- critical analysis of films-- film history.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780070066342 20160527
- Part 1: types of filmmaking, types of film-- the work of film production-- types of film. Part 2: film form-- the significance of film form-- narrative as a formal system-- nonnarrative formal systems. Part 3: film style-- the shot-- mise-en-scene-- the shot - cinematographic properties-- the relation of shot to shot - editing-- sound in the cinema-- style as a formal system - summary. Part 4: critical analysis of films-- film criticism - sample analyses. Part 5: film history-- film form and film history-- internet resources - selected reference sites in film from the World Wide Web-- credits.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780071140737 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- An introductory text for courses on film appreciation, covering the elements of film, film production, narrative and non-narrative film, all with a strong theoretical base and practical application.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780070066342 20160527
- This introduction to film art explains the techniques specific to film as a medium, discusses the principles by which entire films are constructed, and explores how these techniques and formal principles have changed over the history of moviemaking. Frame enlargements are used to illuminate concepts, and there is information on the latest film technology, such as the computer and special effects used in shooting "Jurassic Park". This edition includes a new chapter dealing with types of films and the concept of genre; and there is also a new section on "The New Hollywood" and independent film-making. In addition, there is a new appendix on selected Internet reference sites in film from the World Wide Web.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780071140737 20160527
- Publication date
- Thompson's name appears first on the earlier edition.
- 0071140735 (international ed.)
- 9780071140737 (international ed.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: