The well-tempered announcer : a pronunciation guide to classical music
- Robert A. Fradkin.
- Bloomington : Indiana University Press, c1996.
- Physical description
- xviii, 255 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
ML109 .F73 1996
- In-library use ML109 .F73 1996
- Fradkin, Robert A., 1951-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Prelude A Tribute to WFOS-FM Other Acknowledgments Overture Why This Guide? The Old ONative vs. AnglicizedO Controversy Caveat Dictor Structure of the Book Suggestions for Using The Book Limitations Movement 1. Transcription and Other Basics Transcription Conventions Letter vs. Sound Options and Alternatives Which Phonetic Transcription? Is the Glass Half-Full or Half-Empty? Sound Symbols Vowels Consonants How to Read the Lists On Alphabetical Order WhatOs in a Name? People and Places Of Firsts and Lasts Language, Ethnicity, Religion, and Politics More on Slash Designations Movement 2. Alphabetical List Movement 3. List By Language Armenian Bulgarian Chinese Czech and the Hacek Languages (Slovak, Serbo-Croatian, Slovenia, Lithuanian, Latvian) Note on Last Names Dutch and Flemish English Finnish and Estonian French German Greek Hungarian Italian Japanese Korean Latin Polish Note on Polish Last Names Portuguese Romanian Russian and Ukrainian Scandinavian (Danish, Norwegian, Swedish) Spanish Five Interludes For Tongue and Larynx Interlude 1. The Voicing Principle Two Kinds of Consonants Interlude 2. Consonants on Paper and in the Mouth Some Terminology for Types of Sounds So-called Hard and Soft Consonants Flap, Catch, Shift Doubles and Dub Bulls Consonant Cluster Reprise Interlude 3. Vowels in OGeneral EuropeanO vs. English Vowels in the Mouth Other Vowel Sounds Of Diphthongs and Digraphs OLongO and OShortO OBroadO and OFlatO Shwa Interlude 4. Stress Management Interlude 5. Hints on Reading Key Signatures Movement 4. Letter and Sound in the Languages of Europe and East Asia General Remark on Accent Marks and Diacritics Romance Languages Latin Italian Romanian French Portuguese Spanish Germanic Languages English German Two Notes on Visual Impressions Note on Names, Letters, and Immigration Voicing Reprise Dutch and Flemish Scandinavian (Danish, Norwegian, Swedish) Slavic and Baltic Languages On Language, Religion, and Alphabet Polish The Hacek Languages (Czech, Slovak, Serbo-Croatian, Slovenian-- Lithuanian, Latvian) Russian-Ukrainian-Bulgarian A Guide to Russian Last and Middle Names Finno-Ugric and Other European Languages Finnish, Estonian, Hungarian From the Ends of Europe Albanian, Greek Turkish, Welsh, Irish East Asian Languages Japanese and Korean Japanese Stress and Vowel Skipping Chinese CODA Diacritic Review Letter-to-Sound Review South-to-Letter Review The Palatal Challenge Finale. Annotated Bibliography I. Names but no phonetics II. Names and phonetics III. General Transcription, Phonetics for Singers, etc. Indexes.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- In this innovative guide, Robert A. Fradkin provides pronunciation of over 2,000 personal names, titles of works, and musical terms, including tempo and dynamics indications, genres, and dance forms.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 025321064X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780253210647 (pbk. : alk. paper)